From: Peter Zijlstra on
On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 17:50 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 17:42 +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > > OK, so the below builds and boots, only need to track down that
> > > tasklist_lock nesting, but I got to run an errand first.
> >
> > You should have a look at my old patchset where Christoph already
> > implemented this (and not for decreasing latency but to allow
> > scheduling in mmu notifier handlers, only needed by XPMEM):
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.26-rc7/mmu-notifier-v18/
> >
> > The ugliest part of it (that I think you missed below) is the breakage
> > of the RCU locking in the anon-vma which requires adding refcounting
> > to it. That was the worst part of the conversion as far as I can tell.
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.26-rc7/mmu-notifier-v18/anon-vma
> >
> > I personally prefer read-write locks that Christoph used for both of
> > them, but I'm not against mutex either. Still the refcounting problem
> > should be the same as it's introduced by allowing the critical
> > sections under anon_vma->lock to schedule (no matter if it's mutex or
> > read-write sem).
>
> Right, so the problem with the rwsem is that, esp for very short hold
> times, they introduce more pain than they're worth. Also the rwsem
> doesn't do adaptive spinning nor allows for lock stealing, resulting in
> a much much heavier sync. object than the mutex is.
>
> You also seem to move the tlb_gather stuff around, we have patches in
> -rt that make tlb_gather preemptible, once i_mmap_lock is preemptible we
> can do in mainline too.

Another thing is mm->nr_ptes, that doens't appear to be properly
serialized, __pte_alloc() does ++ under mm->page_table_lock, but
free_pte_range() does -- which afaict isn't always with page_table_lock
held, it does however always seem to have mmap_sem for writing.

However __pte_alloc() callers do not in fact hold mmap_sem for writing.

From: Peter Zijlstra on
On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 18:51 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 04/01/2010 06:42 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> >> OK, so the below builds and boots, only need to track down that
> >> tasklist_lock nesting, but I got to run an errand first.
> >>
> > You should have a look at my old patchset where Christoph already
> > implemented this (and not for decreasing latency but to allow
> > scheduling in mmu notifier handlers, only needed by XPMEM):
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.26-rc7/mmu-notifier-v18/
> >
> > The ugliest part of it (that I think you missed below) is the breakage
> > of the RCU locking in the anon-vma which requires adding refcounting
> > to it. That was the worst part of the conversion as far as I can tell.
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.26-rc7/mmu-notifier-v18/anon-vma
> >

> Can we use srcu now instead?

I would much rather we make call_rcu_preempt() available at all times.

From: Andrea Arcangeli on
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 05:56:02PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> Another thing is mm->nr_ptes, that doens't appear to be properly
> serialized, __pte_alloc() does ++ under mm->page_table_lock, but
> free_pte_range() does -- which afaict isn't always with page_table_lock
> held, it does however always seem to have mmap_sem for writing.

Not saying this is necessarily safe, but how can be that relevant with
spinlock->mutex/rwsem conversion? Only thing that breaks with that
conversion would be RCU (the very anon_vma rcu breaks because it
rcu_read_lock disabling preempt and then takes the anon_vma->lock,
that falls apart because taking the anon_vma->lock will imply a
schedule), but nr_ptes is a write operation so it can't be protected
by RCU.

> However __pte_alloc() callers do not in fact hold mmap_sem for writing.

As long as the mmap_sem readers always also take the page_table_lock
we're safe.
From: Andrea Arcangeli on
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 06:51:17PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Can we use srcu now instead?

We can always switch to srcu. Switching to srcu is not a noop for all
mmu notifier invalidates only after these locks can schedule. At that
point, so with srcu + mutex in the rmap locks, all the mmu notifier
invalidates can schedule, allowing XPMEM to be synchronous its
invalidates, and making it safe.
From: Paul E. McKenney on
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 05:56:46PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 18:51 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:

> > > You should have a look at my old patchset where Christoph already
> > > implemented this (and not for decreasing latency but to allow
> > > scheduling in mmu notifier handlers, only needed by XPMEM):
> > >
> > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.26-rc7/mmu-notifier-v18/
> > >
> > > The ugliest part of it (that I think you missed below) is the breakage
> > > of the RCU locking in the anon-vma which requires adding refcounting
> > > to it. That was the worst part of the conversion as far as I can tell.
> > >
> > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.26-rc7/mmu-notifier-v18/anon-vma
> > >

> > Can we use srcu now instead?
>
> I would much rather we make call_rcu_preempt() available at all times.

Even in !CONFIG_PREEMPT kernels? Or am I missing your point?

Thanx, Paul