From: lenny109 on
Thanks for the replies. I will reseat the RAM and the graphics card. In fact
this machine has an external graphics card and a built in one so I will
remove one.

From: Al on
Beep codes are specific for the installed BIOS. Some codes are identical -
for instance the single beep at boot means a successful "POST" - Power on
self test. The codes for your computer should be available at Dell
support.

From: mm on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:59:52 -0800 (PST), jinxy
<willandsue(a)rogers.com> wrote:

>On Jan 23, 2:37�pm, "lenny109" <le...(a)thetakeout.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a Dell PC that has suddenly stopped working. When I try to start it I
>> get nothing except a series of beeps. It sounds like 6 beeps in a 1-2-1-2
>> configuration or it could be 3 beeps twice. What does that mean?
>
> You might double check your memory. Try removing and reseating it.
>Sometimes a poor connection will cause problems.
> Also try pulling the CMOS battery for 10 seconds or so, then reseat
>it.

Before he does this, I think he should look at the bios settings to
remind himself if he customized any, and what he did, so he can do it
again after the defaults are restored (by removing the battery).

From: Paul on
Jose wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2:37 pm, "lenny109" <le...(a)thetakeout.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a Dell PC that has suddenly stopped working. When I try to start it I
>> get nothing except a series of beeps. It sounds like 6 beeps in a 1-2-1-2
>> configuration or it could be 3 beeps twice. What does that mean?
>
> Here is another place that may help:
>
> http://www.bioscentral.com/

I even found a page with Dell beep codes, but 1-2-1-2 isn't there.

http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/dellbios.htm

Phoenix beep codes have four digit values, but again, the 1-2-1-2
"Load alternative registers with initial POST values" isn't meaningful.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/phoenixbeep.htm

Some Dell boxes have four diagnostic LEDs and if there is a code
showing on the four LEDs, you can look that up and get a better answer.
The Dell web page for one of those computers, will have a document
with a table of values.

Paul
From: David B. on
How exactly do you review your BIOS settings if the PC won't POST?