From: SpreadTooThin on
When I use the finders go, connect to server or mount a volume from
the terminal, the volume appears to be read only. (i.e. drag/drop
onto the volume doesn't work...

mkdir /Volumes/ftpsite
mount -t ftp ftp://user:password(a)ftpserver.com /Volumes/ftpsite

or in finder
ftp://user:password(a)ftpserver.com
From: nospam on
In article
<68d27b4f-16d7-475b-ad66-7505db85057b(a)d37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> When I use the finders go, connect to server or mount a volume from
> the terminal, the volume appears to be read only. (i.e. drag/drop
> onto the volume doesn't work...

finder's ftp is read only. "it's a feature, not a bug."
From: Tom Harrington on
In article
<68d27b4f-16d7-475b-ad66-7505db85057b(a)d37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> When I use the finders go, connect to server or mount a volume from
> the terminal, the volume appears to be read only. (i.e. drag/drop
> onto the volume doesn't work...

i.e. working as designed, unfortunately.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002
From: JF Mezei on
SpreadTooThin wrote:
> When I use the finders go, connect to server or mount a volume from
> the terminal, the volume appears to be read only. (i.e. drag/drop
> onto the volume doesn't work...

Apple didn't complete its ftp support implementation, so it is read-only
for ftp mounts. Basically useless.
From: SpreadTooThin on
On Jul 13, 3:15 pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:
> SpreadTooThin wrote:
> > When I use the finders go, connect to server or mount a volume from
> > the terminal, the volume appears to be read only.  (i.e. drag/drop
> > onto the volume doesn't work...
>
> I'll phrase the response differently from what others have written:
>
> Apple didn't complete its ftp support implementation, so it is read-only
> for ftp mounts. Basically useless.

but the volume IS writable from say the terminal?