From: Dmitry Torokhov on
On Friday, August 06, 2010 01:31:57 pm Neil Leeder wrote:
> This is an update of the driver that Quanta posted here a few days ago.
> Quanta wrote the original version of the driver and I am picking up
> maintenance for code aurora forum.
>
> I've addressed the review comments. The only one that's outstanding is
> the use of the sensitivity value. I don't see an easy way that userspace
> would be able to apply the sensitivity scaling between the driver and
> say xorg, so for now I've left it in the driver, but I'd welcome any
> suggestions for improvement.

Doesn't "xset mouse" do what you want?

--
Dmitry
From: Neil Leeder on
On 8/6/2010 4:44 PM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> Doesn't "xset mouse" do what you want?

Yes, I believe it does. I'll resubmit the patch with the scaling removed
- thanks.

--
Neil
From: Trilok Soni on
Hi Neil,

On 8/7/2010 2:02 AM, Neil Leeder wrote:
> This driver is for the QCI trackpad used on Quanta smartbooks
>
> Review URL: http://codereview.chromium.org/724001

Do we need such URLs?

> +
> +/*
> + * Driver communicates over i2c to nuvoTon WPCE775x Embedded Controller,
> + * which has touchpad attached through PS/2 interface.
> + */

Why this driver is not developed through MFD architecture then? nuvoTon chip
looks like multi-function chip, isn't it?

> +
> +#include <linux/kernel.h>
> +#include <linux/init.h>
> +#include <linux/module.h>
> +#include <linux/slab.h>
> +#include <linux/i2c.h>
> +#include <linux/interrupt.h>
> +#include <linux/input.h>
> +#include <linux/gpio.h>
> +#include <linux/delay.h>
> +#include <linux/input/qci_touchpad.h>
> +
> +#define TOUCHPAD_ID_NAME "qci-i2cpad"
> +#define TOUCHPAD_NAME "QCI Touchpad"
> +#define TOUCHPAD_DEVICE "/qci_touchpad/input0"
> +#define TOUCHPAD_CMD_ENABLE 0xF4
> +#define TOUCHPAD_READ_DATA_LEN 3
> +
> +struct i2ctpad_drv_data {
> + struct i2c_client *ti2c_client;
> + struct input_dev *qcitp_dev;
> + unsigned int qcitp_gpio;
> + unsigned int qcitp_irq;
> + char ecdata[8];
> + bool opened;
> +};
> +
> +
> +static const struct i2c_device_id qcitp_idtable[] = {
> + { TOUCHPAD_ID_NAME, 0 },

This should be chip name instead of driver or ID name I think.

> +
> + err = gpio_request(context->qcitp_gpio, "qci-pad");
> + if (err) {
> + pr_err("[QCI TouchPad] gpio request failed\n");
> + goto gpio_request_fail;
> + }
> +
> + context->qcitp_irq = gpio_to_irq(context->qcitp_gpio);

Please set the direction of the gpio as input, gpio_direction_input, even though gpios
are coming as input by default.

> +
> +static int __devexit qcitp_remove(struct i2c_client *client)
> +{
> + struct i2ctpad_drv_data *context = i2c_get_clientdata(client);
> +
> + free_irq(context->qcitp_irq, context);
> + gpio_free(context->qcitp_gpio);
> + input_unregister_device(context->qcitp_dev);
> + i2c_set_clientdata(client, NULL);

Not required in latest kernels.

---Trilok Soni

--
Sent by a consultant of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
From: David Brown on
On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 04:14:54PM +0530, Trilok Soni wrote:

> > +
> > +/*
> > + * Driver communicates over i2c to nuvoTon WPCE775x Embedded Controller,
> > + * which has touchpad attached through PS/2 interface.
> > + */
>
> Why this driver is not developed through MFD architecture then? nuvoTon chip
> looks like multi-function chip, isn't it?

It is, in the sense that it does multiple things. But, for this
particular device, it makes the keyboard available as an i2c device.
I don't see any particular reason to tie that to other functionality
that the chip provides.

David
From: Trilok Soni on
Hi David,

On 8/11/2010 4:50 AM, David Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 04:14:54PM +0530, Trilok Soni wrote:
>
>>> +
>>> +/*
>>> + * Driver communicates over i2c to nuvoTon WPCE775x Embedded Controller,
>>> + * which has touchpad attached through PS/2 interface.
>>> + */
>>
>> Why this driver is not developed through MFD architecture then? nuvoTon chip
>> looks like multi-function chip, isn't it?
>
> It is, in the sense that it does multiple things. But, for this
> particular device, it makes the keyboard available as an i2c device.
> I don't see any particular reason to tie that to other functionality
> that the chip provides.

Ok, agreed. Neil, please submit a new patch with addressing other comments. Thanks.

---Trilok Soni
--
Sent by a consultant of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.