From: Daniel Walker on
On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 18:18 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Yeah. Either this can be replaced with GPL, and it such case just do
> > > so, or it can not, and then it can not be applied to kernel.
> > >

> > This is a standard BSD-style license so it's compatible w/ the GPL. Thanks.
>
> The kernel requires GPL, and its much much easier for everyone to state
> so explicitly to avoid future surprises (remember 4 clause BSD was once
> thought GPL compatible even by the FSF...)
>
> If you want to make it clear it's also available BSD licensed in this
> form (at least until someone changes it) see the wording in files like
> drivers/char/random.c
>
> That usually keeps all the lawyers happy.

I guess this is a fairly confusing issues .. I found a number of regular
BSD licenses in the kernel , many under include/linux/ ,

include/linux/nfs4_acl.h

in fact most of nfsd is BSD only, at least directly in the .c files.
There could be some statement someplace else that I missed.

include/net/ieee80211_radiotap.h
include/linux/quota.h

Just structures ..

Is it possible that no code header files can be BSD only? From looking
at the directory that is kind of what it looks like.

Daniel

--
Sent by a consultant of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.

From: Alan Cox on
> licensing for headers under /include. A dual license would work, but
> would it also be frowned upon to use just a 3-clause BSD license like we
> have in this patch? Thanks.

The problem if it is only 3 clause BSD is what happens if somehow
somewhere 3 clause BSD and GPL turn out to be incompatible. The easiest
way to avoid that is to explicitly put it under both.

It's not likely to happen but its also easy to protect against