From: Irl on
There doesn't seem to be an easy way to swap menus, then return to the
original one, on the 50g, while editing a program. (I have assigned
<<0 MENU>>
to a key, but it doesn't work from within the editor. Rather than
diving into the Key Manager which has been discussed here, is there
some easy way (SYSEVAL call placed before the command??) to make it
work from within the editor?
Irl

From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:09:36 -0600, Irl <irl1(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be an easy way to swap menus,
> then return to the original one, on the 50g,
> while editing a program.

While holding down Left shift, press PREV (above NXT).

If you want a program to assign to some other key instead, then:

:: TakeOver %0 InitMenu% ; (SysRPL)

To produce that program via UserRPL:

"D9D206C572739F21EE52B2130"
IF 64. STWS DUP BYTES DROP #35A5h ==
THEN #100001h LIBEVAL END

[r->] [OFF]
From: Irl on
Thanks, John! I'll try it.
.... although it does look to my eyes like "a sufficiently advanced
technology" >:-o
Irl

From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:05:11 -0600, Irl wrote:

> it does look to my eyes like
> "a sufficiently advanced technology" >:-o

Did you try the built-in "shift and hold" magic with PREV?

That's how the distinct PREV and MENU
shifted variants of NXT in the 48G series
were combined into one shift on the 49G/50G series,
depending on whether you have released the shift key
or are still holding it down -- this makes it possible
to build in (or assign) up to five non-alpha functions per key,
rather than the mere three of the HP48 series :)

You'd think that this might be enough to hold folks,
but no -- someone then made his own library
to add even more, timing-dependent assignments
("long" press and "double" press);
the only problem with this is the need
for 7-dimensional keyboard overlays :)

http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3392
http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~raut/WR49/Keyman.htm

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
Addendum:

Joe Horn's "shift&hold keyhunt" program (and a list of what it found):
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/176359e6c2c30ec8

"Shift and hold" functions are also listed in Appendix G
of the 49/50 series Advanced Users Reference manual (AUR),
although there are quite a few mistakes in Edition 1:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6374

[r->] [OFF]