From: jimka on
I'm looking for some benchmarks which I can implement in several lisp
dialects, various common lisp implementations as well as hopefully
elisp,
and SKILL. They should be algorithms which I can verify are getting
the
right answer and which I'll be able to measure the execution time of.

I was thinking of some algorithms for integer, floating point, string
sorting.
Hopefully something which is understandable to managers who might not
themselves be programmers so they can get an idea of the performance
characteristics of various implementations.

My ultimate goal is to show how a compiled lisp can be faster than an
interpreted one, but perhaps also some examples where an interpred
one
also does quite well.

It would be great if (perhaps via some helpful macros) the programs in
all dialects
are exactly the same text.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

-jim
From: Raffael Cavallaro on

<http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/cl-bench.tar.gz>

> as well as hopefully
> elisp,
> and SKILL.

You'll have to rewrite them for these other dialects.

> They should be algorithms which I can verify are getting
> the
> right answer and which I'll be able to measure the execution time of.

This shouldn't be a problem.

warmest regards,

Ralph

--
Raffael Cavallaro

From: Rainer Joswig on
In article <hnbt5s$jrd$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Raffael Cavallaro <raffaelcavallaro(a)pas.espam.s.il.vous.plait.mac.com>
wrote:

> On 2010-03-11 16:41:30 -0500, jimka said:
>
> > I'm looking for some benchmarks which I can implement in several lisp
> > dialects, various common lisp implementations
>
> <http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/cl-bench.tar.gz>

For those interested, Richard P. Gabriel makes
the book 'Performance and Evaluation of Lisp Systems'
available on his homepage as a PDF:

http://www.dreamsongs.com/Files/Timrep.pdf

From 1985.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Vassil Nikolov on

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:24:12 +0100, Rainer Joswig <joswig(a)lisp.de> said:
> For those interested, Richard P. Gabriel makes
> the book 'Performance and Evaluation of Lisp Systems'
> available on his homepage as a PDF:
> http://www.dreamsongs.com/Files/Timrep.pdf

And it is well worth reading, for a number of reasons.

---Vassil.

--
No flies need shaving.
From: Pascal Costanza on
On 11/03/2010 22:41, jimka wrote:
> I'm looking for some benchmarks which I can implement in several lisp
> dialects, various common lisp implementations as well as hopefully
> elisp,
> and SKILL. They should be algorithms which I can verify are getting
> the
> right answer and which I'll be able to measure the execution time of.
>
> I was thinking of some algorithms for integer, floating point, string
> sorting.
> Hopefully something which is understandable to managers who might not
> themselves be programmers so they can get an idea of the performance
> characteristics of various implementations.
>
> My ultimate goal is to show how a compiled lisp can be faster than an
> interpreted one, but perhaps also some examples where an interpred
> one
> also does quite well.
>
> It would be great if (perhaps via some helpful macros) the programs in
> all dialects
> are exactly the same text.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?

The Larceny project hosts a number of benchmarks / benchmark suites for
R6RS Scheme which are very comprehensive. See
http://www.larcenists.org/benchmarks.html

If you spend some time with http://www.archive.org/ you can also find
older versions for R5RS Scheme, which are probably easier to port to
other Lisp dialects.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net