From: timOleary on
XP pro
I use an array for automated daily backup,
I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C.
Problems:
The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so
backups are not executed until I notice and take action.
I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level.
Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files
into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last
(C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called
delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging
and purging.
I want an app which uses volume size instead.Since due to
irregularities in the backup timeline (for example array overloads as
described), sometimes the folders will grow larger than the desired
level, and I have to go in manually and manage things.

The objective is to retain files until they become older than six
months, after which time I can dump them.
I also think gdelinda has a memory leak because the file sizes and
available storage numbers do not add up. I do not know how to test for
memory leaks, but as previously mentioned. an app which uses volume
size rather than creation date as the trigger.
I do not know how to write a script, which someone suggested is what I
need to do
TIA
From: Andrew E. on
How are folders on C: drive going to help with backup.If you require
backup files,C: probably wont be available....Why not purchase a 2nd hd
& dump youre folders on it,plus other misc,new hds are about 30.00
As for memory test.Go to http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
This utility runs in DOS,it also checks the memory controllers at same time.

From: Ol�rin on
Bzzzt! Andrew E. not reading posts again!

Who said anything about C:\-*drive*?

From: timOleary on
On Nov 24, 4:17 am, "Olórin" <inca...(a)erkljrjre890aeraekj4na.com>
wrote:
> Bzzzt! Andrew E. not reading posts again!
>
> Who said anything about C:\-*drive*?
>
> "Andrew E." <eckric...(a)msn.com> wrote in message

> >  How are folders on C: drive going to help with backup.If you require
> > backup files,C: probably wont be available....Why not purchase a 2nd hd
> > & dump youre folders on it,plus other misc,new hds are about 30.00
> > As for memory test.Go to  http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
> > This utility runs in DOS,it also checks the memory controllers at same
> > time.
>
> > "timOleary" wrote:
>
> >> XP pro
> >> I use an array for automated daily backup,
> >> I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C.
> >> Problems:
> >> The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so
> >> backups are not executed until I notice and take action.
> >> I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level.
> >> Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files
> >> into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last
> >> (C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called
> >> delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging
> >> and purging.
> >> I want an app which uses volume size instead.Since due to
> >> irregularities in the backup timeline (for example array overloads as
> >> described), sometimes the folders will grow larger than the desired
> >> level, and I have to go in manually and manage things.
>
> >> The objective is to retain files until they become older than six
> >> months, after which time I can dump them.
> >> I also think gdelinda has a memory leak because the file sizes and
> >> available storage numbers do not add up. I do not know how to test for
> >> memory leaks, but as previously mentioned. an app which uses volume
> >> size rather than creation date as the trigger.
> >> I do not know how to write a script, which someone suggested is what I
> >> need to do
> >> TIA
> >> .

Hi:
The array is "D". It is a 9T box.

The C drive is reserved for the system alone.
the array is connected via a SCSI which I do not think is relevant to
the issue.
Thanks for the link to test.
When I check for the amount of data on the array and the available
space on the array, the numbers do not add up.
space is gone but unaccounted for. So I offered that maybe it was a
memory leak. I think I am off target with this idea and do not really
understand what a memory leak is.
thanks for the feedback

Pages: 1
Prev: IE