From: jennifer on
pls can you help me out with this 2 problems, any help would be
appreciated.

1. Use the fundamental counting principle to solve:

How many different four letter radio station call letters can be
formed if the first letter must be W or K?

2. Use the formula for nCr to solve this:

A four-person committee is to be elected from an organization's
membership of 11 people. how many different committees are possible?

thanks.

jen
From: Arturo Magidin on
On Nov 9, 4:39 pm, jennifer <scrilla_12_1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> pls can you help me out with this 2 problems, any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> 1. Use the fundamental counting principle to solve:
>
>     How many different four letter radio station call letters can be
> formed if the first letter  must be W or K?

Do any of the letters depend on any other letters?

Does order count?

How many possibilities are there for the first letter? The second? The
third? The fourth?

If you have two independent events, the first one can occur in x ways,
and the second can occur in y ways, in how many ways can both events
occur?

> 2. Use the formula for nCr to solve this:
>
> A four-person committee is to be elected from an organization's
> membership of 11 people. how many different committees are possible?

The pronounciatioin of "nCr" is "n choose r". If you need to *choose*
four people to be in the committee, what do you think "n" and "r"
should be?

> thanks.

My next suggestion is that you pay attention in class and go to office
hours, rather than rely on strangers doing your homework for you. Both
of these questions are quite basic, and if the material has been
covered in class and you've been paying attention, you should be able
to do both without any help whatsoever.

--
Arturo Magidin