From: David Miller on
From: "Ha, Tristram" <Tristram.Ha(a)Micrel.Com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:37:22 -0800

> This is a resubmission of the Micrel KSZ8841/2 PCI Ethernet driver.

The procfs stuff is a non-starter.

There will undoubtedly be other devices that have switch-like
facilities that we'd like to export configuration support for.

The last thing we want is a bunch of procfs files that each
driver decides the layout and behavior of.

We need a centralized way to config such things, and probably
the best is to have a rtnl_link_ops facility to get at the
ports and configure them with attribute blobs or similar.

We also said in your first submission that the way you're
getting at the bridge STP stuff with things like:

+/* Needed for STP support. */
+#ifdef CONFIG_KSZ8842_STP
+#include <../net/bridge/br_private.h>
+#endif

Yet you left all of this stuff in there.
From: Ha, Tristram on
Dave Miller wrote:
>> This is a resubmission of the Micrel KSZ8841/2 PCI Ethernet driver.
>
> The procfs stuff is a non-starter.
>
> There will undoubtedly be other devices that have switch-like
> facilities that we'd like to export configuration support for.
>
> The last thing we want is a bunch of procfs files that each
> driver decides the layout and behavior of.
>
> We need a centralized way to config such things, and probably
> the best is to have a rtnl_link_ops facility to get at the
> ports and configure them with attribute blobs or similar.
>
> We also said in your first submission that the way you're
> getting at the bridge STP stuff with things like:
>
> +/* Needed for STP support. */
> +#ifdef CONFIG_KSZ8842_STP
> +#include <../net/bridge/br_private.h>
> +#endif
> Yet you left all of this stuff in there.

In my discussions with Alan Cox and Stephen Hemminger, I thought they kind of agree to the code's inclusion in the driver. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I will submit another one with those code removed.

P.S. I did not actually receive your response from my company's e-mail server. I copied it from LKML.
From: Stephen Hemminger on
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:18:54 -0800
"Ha, Tristram" <Tristram.Ha(a)Micrel.Com> wrote:

> Dave Miller wrote:
> >> This is a resubmission of the Micrel KSZ8841/2 PCI Ethernet driver.
> >
> > The procfs stuff is a non-starter.
> >
> > There will undoubtedly be other devices that have switch-like
> > facilities that we'd like to export configuration support for.
> >
> > The last thing we want is a bunch of procfs files that each
> > driver decides the layout and behavior of.
> >
> > We need a centralized way to config such things, and probably
> > the best is to have a rtnl_link_ops facility to get at the
> > ports and configure them with attribute blobs or similar.
> >
> > We also said in your first submission that the way you're
> > getting at the bridge STP stuff with things like:
> >
> > +/* Needed for STP support. */
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_KSZ8842_STP
> > +#include <../net/bridge/br_private.h>
> > +#endif
> > Yet you left all of this stuff in there.
>
> In my discussions with Alan Cox and Stephen Hemminger, I thought they kind of agree to the code's inclusion in the driver. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I will submit another one with those code removed.
>
> P.S. I did not actually receive your response from my company's e-mail server. I copied it from LKML.

I would rather move any defines needed by driver to
new file: include/net/bridge.h
and include it in br_private.h

Don't want device dumpster diving into bridge control structures.