From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-02-05 21:17 +0100, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Bah. That DEVINET_SYSCTL_ENTRY requires having a binary sysctl
> assigned, just to use as an index.
>
> Which of course trips over all of the fine checks in sysctl_check.c to
> keep people from assigning new binary sysctls by accident.
>
> That is the only place in the kernel where he have that problem, I wonder
> how much work it will be to finish untangling.

Isn't that already done in 2.6.33, looking at commit 83ac201b ? Forgive
my ignorance, I am a layman.

Sen
From: Eric W. Biederman on
Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> writes:

> On 2010-02-05 21:17 +0100, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
>> Bah. That DEVINET_SYSCTL_ENTRY requires having a binary sysctl
>> assigned, just to use as an index.
>>
>> Which of course trips over all of the fine checks in sysctl_check.c to
>> keep people from assigning new binary sysctls by accident.
>>
>> That is the only place in the kernel where he have that problem, I wonder
>> how much work it will be to finish untangling.
>
> Isn't that already done in 2.6.33, looking at commit 83ac201b ? Forgive
> my ignorance, I am a layman.

In 2.6.33 the enumeration in sysctl.h still serves double duty as an index
into a per network device bitmap and as the binary sysctl number. You are
correct that the rest of the binary sysctl code is decoupled in 2.6.33.

In 2.6.32 the implementation is also still coupled and that difference is
what caused problems for the backport.

I just wince whenever I noticed we have touched sysctl.h.

Eric

From: Eric W. Biederman on