From: Mark Watson on
I am the author of one Ruby book (for Apress) and I use Ruby a lot in
my work. I decided to create a separate blog just for my new writing
on Ruby. Hopefully you will enjoy it :-)
From: Josh Cheek on

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Mark Watson <mark.watson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I am the author of one Ruby book (for Apress) and I use Ruby a lot in
> my work. I decided to create a separate blog just for my new writing
> on Ruby. Hopefully you will enjoy it :-)

Thanks, Mark, I'll check it out :)

I'm working on an AI project right now, actually, for one of my school
courses. I just got back from a BBQ with some of my classmates where we
fought our AI against eachother. Mine went 4-1, I was just sitting down to
implement alpha-beta, and I might possibly try out congruence classes if I
have time (iffy). Then test my weightings for the heuristic to see which
offer the best results (probably going to write a script to fight several
different versions of the robot against eachother and see which weights win
most often).

I have the Manning book "Algorithms of the Intelligent Web" but it's for
Java (which I actually respect more, after this AI project, since the
algorithm portion of the project is implemented in Java -- the interface is
Sinatra). "Scripting Intelligence" looks like it addresses a lot of similar
topics from a Ruby perspective, should I check it out? (or is it a tautology
to ask an author if you should check out their book? ;)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I'll add RubyPlanet to my RSS.

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
Mark Watson wrote:
> I am the author of one Ruby book (for Apress) and I use Ruby a lot in
> my work. I decided to create a separate blog just for my new writing
> on Ruby. Hopefully you will enjoy it :-)

Hi Mark, great to hear! I've been following you on Twitter for a while
(or maybe 'stalking' ? ). I am vaguely saddened to see that the
website's url isn't http://rubypla.net ;-)

From: Mark Watson on
On Apr 3, 6:04 pm, Josh Cheek <josh.ch...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Mark Watson <mark.wat...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am the author of one Ruby book (for Apress) and I use Ruby a lot in
> > my work. I decided to create a separate blog just for my new writing
> > on Ruby. Hopefully you will enjoy it :-)
>
> Thanks, Mark, I'll check it out :)
>
> I'm working on an AI project right now, actually, for one of my school
> courses. I just got back from a BBQ with some of my classmates where we
> fought our AI against eachother. Mine went 4-1, I was just sitting down to
> implement alpha-beta, and I might possibly try out congruence classes if I
> have time (iffy). Then test my weightings for the heuristic to see which
> offer the best results (probably going to write a script to fight several
> different versions of the robot against eachother and see which weights win
> most often).
>
> I have the Manning book "Algorithms of the Intelligent Web" but it's for
> Java (which I actually respect more, after this AI project, since the
> algorithm portion of the project is implemented in Java -- the interface is
> Sinatra). "Scripting Intelligence" looks like it addresses a lot of similar
> topics from a Ruby perspective, should I check it out? (or is it a tautology
> to ask an author if you should check out their book? ;)
>
> Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I'll add RubyPlanet to my RSS.

Hello Josh,

My last book was not so much about AI as it is about information
gathering and processing, with a view towards scaling web apps, using
Hadoop, a bit about the semantic web, etc.
From: Mark Watson on
On Apr 5, 5:51 am, Aldric Giacomoni <ald...(a)trevoke.net> wrote:
> Mark Watson wrote:
> > I am the author of one Ruby book (for Apress) and I use Ruby a lot in
> > my work. I decided to create a separate blog just for my new writing
> > on Ruby. Hopefully you will enjoy it :-)
>
> Hi Mark, great to hear! I've been following you on Twitter for a while
> (or maybe 'stalking' ? ). I am vaguely saddened to see that the
> website's url isn'thttp://rubypla.net;-)

That is a cool domain name :-)

Pages: 1
Prev: gem update error