From: Ron Patterson on
I know this may not be the proper place for this question. Perhaps if no
one here can field it, you can refer me to the appropriate newsgroup.

Computer currently dual hard drive - one IDE and one SATA - both running Win
XP. Boots easily into either one. No problem.
Tried to install a new Seagate SATA drive as a third drive to run Win7.
Hooked up new drive and computer will not boot past the Intel Screen (click
F2 to enter BIOS) - freezes here - can not even enter BIOS.

Disconnect all other drives and peripherals and connect new SATA using same
ports and cables as other SATA. Same problem.

Drive must be defective? Returned drive and purchased Western Digital
drive. Same exact problem. Reinstall 2 old drives - no problem - either
will boot.

Apparently for some reason this computer will not boot past the Intel screen
& and can not access BIOS if a hard drive is connected without an operating
system?

Otherwise all is fine.

Any ideas or referrals?

Ron Patterson

From: pjp on
Well before the OS has any stake in the affair :)

Offhand that'd have me stumped also. I'd likely be checking what new drive
was like in another pc if is available, else perhaps an external enclosure.

The fact it fails to allow even into bios when just itself attached
indicates to me at least it's likely defective drive. Again checking on a
2nd pc might be best, easiest solution to determine if that's the problem.

From: Smiles on
Ron Patterson wrote:
> I know this may not be the proper place for this question. Perhaps if no
> one here can field it, you can refer me to the appropriate newsgroup.
>
> Computer currently dual hard drive - one IDE and one SATA - both running Win
> XP. Boots easily into either one. No problem.
> Tried to install a new Seagate SATA drive as a third drive to run Win7.
> Hooked up new drive and computer will not boot past the Intel Screen (click
> F2 to enter BIOS) - freezes here - can not even enter BIOS.
>
> Disconnect all other drives and peripherals and connect new SATA using same
> ports and cables as other SATA. Same problem.
>
> Drive must be defective? Returned drive and purchased Western Digital
> drive. Same exact problem. Reinstall 2 old drives - no problem - either
> will boot.
>
> Apparently for some reason this computer will not boot past the Intel screen
> & and can not access BIOS if a hard drive is connected without an operating
> system?
>
> Otherwise all is fine.
>
> Any ideas or referrals?
>
> Ron Patterson

is the drive to big for your system
are you booting from each drive or having just the files seperately
did the store check the drive for you
From: Ron Patterson on
I came to the same conclusion after the first new drive had a problem.
However, it is just too far fetched for me for a second brand new drive to
have the same problem. Getting convinced now it is the mother board / BIOS.
Amazing that both other drives work perfectly.

Ron

From: Ron Patterson on
Thanks for the reply Smiles -

I have tried 2 brand new drives -one a 320 Gb Western Digital SATA and the
other a 160 Gb Seagate SATA.
It is too hard for me to believe both brand new drives are faulty.

Computer boots up fine in either the IDE or SATA drives currently in it.
Neither of the new drives - which are blank - will boot past the Intel
screen - I can not even access the BIOS
- system freezes on Intel screen. - but I can feel the new drive
spinning.
Same problem even when I remove the existing drives and all peripherals.

It has me baffled - it is as if it will only boot past the Intel screen
when there is a drive installed with an operating system on it.

Thinking maybe reflash chip set - or new mother board?

Ron

"Smiles" <smile_inspector(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ron Patterson wrote:
>> I know this may not be the proper place for this question. Perhaps if no
>> one here can field it, you can refer me to the appropriate newsgroup.
>>
>> Computer currently dual hard drive - one IDE and one SATA - both running
>> Win
>> XP. Boots easily into either one. No problem.
>> Tried to install a new Seagate SATA drive as a third drive to run Win7.
>> Hooked up new drive and computer will not boot past the Intel Screen
>> (click
>> F2 to enter BIOS) - freezes here - can not even enter BIOS.
>>
>> Disconnect all other drives and peripherals and connect new SATA using
>> same
>> ports and cables as other SATA. Same problem.
>>
>> Drive must be defective? Returned drive and purchased Western Digital
>> drive. Same exact problem. Reinstall 2 old drives - no problem - either
>> will boot.
>>
>> Apparently for some reason this computer will not boot past the Intel
>> screen
>> & and can not access BIOS if a hard drive is connected without an
>> operating
>> system?
>>
>> Otherwise all is fine.
>>
>> Any ideas or referrals?
>>
>> Ron Patterson
>>

> is the drive to big for your system
> are you booting from each drive or having just the files seperately
> did the store check the drive for you

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Memory test