From: Roger on
Check out this new law that went into effect March 1:

http://www.sqlmag.com/print/sql-server/A-New-Law-that-Will-Change-the-Way-You-Build-Database-Applications.aspx

It will affect anyone maintaining a database that has people from
Massachusetts.

does access2010 or sharepoint support Transparent Data Encryption
(TDE) (like sql server 2008 enterprise) ?
From: The Frog on
What garbage. Scare mongering rubbish. This may have some implications
for individuals in the US but has no merit anywhere else in the world.
I would also be suspect of the applicability of that 'law' due to the
single reason that security is not a product, it is a method - if
crypto is not properly implemented, no matter how 'strong' the
algorithm, then it is a flase sense of security and is worse than no
security.

The intent of securing PII is noble enough, but the sheer lack of
understanding displayed attempting this legal approach is appalling.
If it was to be done properly then you would want to see a
'system' (ie/ application with a DB and PII data) reach some sort of
verifiable certification or level of trust that is independantly
verifiable to open standards accepted by industry. This looks like an
attempt to create a parallel authority chain and without the simple
expertise to certify, verify and authenticate the implementations by
recognised experts it is a waste of time and expense.

Good thing I dont have to live with stupidity like that. I could
rattle on about the dangers of individuals playing with things they
dont fully understand, but I figure that it has got to be pretty
obvious by now......

Cheers

The Frog
(and yes I understand I make my mistakes too - I just try to keep mine
non-monumental)