From: sWrath swrath on
Hi ,

I am pretty new to python , and reading up on it.

Basically I am trying to compare xml files . I know difflib have it
but it does not work out as expected. I was looking at xmldiff ,
unfortunately I am not able to find documentation how to call it from
python. Anyone knows a link or doc to it as I have been looking high
and low for few days?

lastly , is there a py (or algorithm) where it behaves exactly like
diff ? Greatly appreciated.

Thanks
john
From: Terry Reedy on
On 2/3/2010 1:38 AM, sWrath swrath wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am pretty new to python , and reading up on it.
>
> Basically I am trying to compare xml files . I know difflib have it
> but it does not work out as expected. I was looking at xmldiff ,
> unfortunately I am not able to find documentation how to call it from
> python. Anyone knows a link or doc to it as I have been looking high
> and low for few days?

When asking such a question, it is good to explain what sort of thing,
in this case, 'xmldiff' is and where it is is from. Let us assume you
meant xmldiff from

http://www.logilab.org/859

It says it is a python tool that can "be used be used as a library or as
a command line tool." It includes a README file. Have you read that?
That says "USAGE ... Read the HELP.txt file.". Have you read *that*?
HELP.txt seems to focus on command line usage. I would start with that.
To use it as a library (via import ...), you might have to look at the
source code as I did not see importing covered in my quick look at that
file.

Terry Jan Reedy