From: Andrew Fong on
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Loke, Chetan <Chetan.Loke(a)netscout.com> wrote:
> [...]

You probably can restart the udev subsystem.

From: Kay Sievers on
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 22:47, Andrew Fong <ayf(a)youtube.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Loke, Chetan <Chetan.Loke(a)netscout.com> wrote:

No, udev has not really a concept of being restarted, it will not do
anything. You can only synthesize events, so it looks like the device
is just plugged in. For that, you need to make sure the interface is
not busy, otherwise renaming will fail in interesting ways, especially
if names need to be swapped between several devices.

Live renaming of interfaces is something you really need to know what
you are doing, especially on remote machines.

Kay
From: Charlie Brady on

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Loke, Chetan wrote:

> [...]

Yes, you can rename interfaces using the 'ip' command.

ip link set oldname name newname
> net(a)vger.kernel.org; linux-kernel(a)vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: nic enumeration
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 22:47, Andrew Fong <ayf(a)youtube.com> wrote:

I'm not a udev guru so I don't know how will renaming a simple net_device->name work?
What about the msi-x queues created by the driver? May be I missed it but I don't see a single driver tearing apart everything and restarting unless a NETDEV_RENAME somehow automagically reloads the driver. I know it's silly for the driver to tear apart the whole world. But then why allow renaming in the first place, correct?

> Live renaming of interfaces is something you really need to know what
> you are doing, especially on remote machines.

I agree, I wanted someone to say 'try the symlink attrib'. I really need to create a 'symlink' or a reference to the newly added 'ethX' interface. I have to support 75+ VMs(each w/ 5+ vNICs) and I can't [re]name the newly added vNIC and then reboot. Rebooting 75+ VMs is non-practical. Adding a new vNIC is as simple as point-and-click and the guest sees the new vNIC. The VM doesn't need to reboot.

How do I achieve this 'symlinking' effect minus the reboot?

> Kay

Regards
Chetan Loke
From: Florian Weimer on
* Chetan Loke:

>> And on a system where you can use udev rules, the
>> 70-persistent-net.rules file can be used to make them constant, by
>> using the MAC address to force the names to be what you want.
>>

> Ok, but can we achieve the renaming w/o a reboot?

"udev-trigger" or "udevadm trigger" works for renaming network
interfaces. The kernel has some restrictions on renaming interfaces
which are in use, so this might not work in your case.

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer(a)bfk.de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/