From: Jose on
On Nov 13, 3:09 pm, DaveB <Da...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am having the same problem.  I am able to login successfully, get to the
> wallpaper background, displays trying to access my wireliss account, all OK,
> except I do not have any icons, taskbar, etc.  What I do show is a pop up
> stating that Windows Explorer was having difficulties and needed to close.. I
> can bring up the Task Manger, but when I go to File and start new task, it
> comes back a pop up similar to the Windows Explorer pop up, and eventually
> closes.  I never get a chance to start explorer.
>
> Any ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Dave

I would say your system is infected and you have several options.
Reinstalling or a Repair install of XP is not on my list.

You need to get a clean copy of explorer running so you can then do
whatever you have to do to get uninfected. You will not get far if
explorer.exe will not run properly.

If you can get to Task Manager, clicking File, Run and entering
explorer.exe is a good idea if - explorer.exe is not already running
and explorer.exe is not one of the infected files, but if I was
malicious software, explorer.exe would be a fine target. Usually I
would suggest that first, but now I am seeing where explorer.exe is
the problem so trying to start it from TM will not help. So, replace
explorer.exe.

From TM click File, New Task, Browse and maneuver to c:\windows and
locate explorer.exe so you know where it is.

You can't replace explorer.exe if it is running, so if TM shows
explorer.exe is a running process, end the process and make sure it
does not magically start again.

From the TM browse window maneuver to c:\windows and delete
explorer.exe (or if you are afraid to do that, rename it). Since it
is a protected Windows file, Windows File Protection will quickly and
silently replace it with a copy from your dllcache folder. Hopefully,
that one is okay. You can refresh your browsing display to see it
replaced in a few seconds.

If you can't delete explorer.exe from TM, open a new command window
task (File, New Task, cmd.exe) and delete explorer from c:\windows
that way. It will be replaced if WFP is working. It must not be
running or you can't delete it.

Now try to start explorer from TM and report back the results.

If you look later you will see a message like this in the Event Log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file c:\windows
\explorer.exe. This file was restored to the original version to
maintain system stability. The file version of the system file is
6.0.2900.5512.

From: DaveB on
I worked on this over the weekend, but sorry to say, with no success.
TaskManager is hosed somewhat also, as it will not allow me to open a file.
Is there an easy way to access a command prompt without going back and forth
to safe mode (constant rebooting)? Since I cannot see any icons or task bar
to be able to access START, it is rough.

Any other ideas?

From: Elmo on
DaveB wrote:
> I am having the same problem. I am able to login successfully, get to the
> wallpaper background, displays trying to access my wireless account, all OK,
> except I do not have any icons, taskbar, etc. What I do show is a pop-up
> stating that Windows Explorer was having difficulties and needed to close. I
> can bring up the Task Manger, but when I go to File and start new task, it
> comes back a pop-up similar to the Windows Explorer pop up, and eventually
> closes. I never get a chance to start explorer.
>
> Any ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Dave

If it is an infection:

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is
available.. it prompts you to insert a CD and burns the file, no problem.

Then run these:

Malwarebytes© Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

--
Joe =o)
From: Jose on
On Nov 17, 1:02 am, DaveB <Da...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I worked on this over the weekend, but sorry to say, with no success.
> TaskManager is hosed somewhat also, as it will not allow me to open a file.
> Is there an easy way to access a command prompt without going back and forth
> to safe mode (constant rebooting)?  Since I cannot see any icons or task bar
> to be able to access START, it is rough.
>
> Any other ideas?

What does "task manager is hosed somewhat" mean?

You don't need to open any files or start a new task using TM. You
need to Browse.

From TM click File, New Task, Browse. Can you browse to c:\windows or
not? Click through any complaining messages.

You need to replace your explorer.exe - not try to run anything right
now.