From: Andreas Waldenburger on
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:13:51 -0700 (PDT) Mensanator <mensanator(a)aol.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 3, 9:03 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st...(a)REMOVE-THIS-
> cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 09:35:34 -0700, Mensanator wrote:
> >
> > > You are if you're using Rationals.
> >
> > That is sheer unadulterated nonsense.
>
> You obviously don't understand the workings of computers.

Now this is what's wrong about internet discussions. Nobody actually
defines what they are talking about *until* it becomes a problem. And
then the retconning starts.

This discussion up to this point had not explicitly been about the
workings of computers. It had not really explicitly been about
mathematical numbers either (although to my understanding this had
been implicit, but that's personal).

Let this be a reminder that defining your terms is one of the best
ideas ever. Its the reason for the success of mathematics. I'd like it
to be a reason for the success of discussions as well.

/W

PS: Accusing someone publicly of "obviously" not understanding [some
topic] is pretty low by any standards. And especially so when the
argument for doing so is bogus: Computers by themselves have as much a
notion of Rationals as they have of Irrationals, or, for that matter,
the cuteness puppies. Software does.

--
INVALID? DE!

From: Andreas Waldenburger on
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 13:59:57 +0200 Andreas Waldenburger
<usenot(a)geekmail.INVALID> wrote:

> Computers by themselves have as much a notion of Rationals as they
> have of Irrationals, or, for that matter, the cuteness puppies.

Strike that. Floats in computers are Rationals. So computers do know
them. However, they are still not "two numbers".

/W

--
INVALID? DE!

From: rantingrick on
On Apr 1, 3:44 pm, superpollo <ute...(a)esempio.net> wrote:
> how much is one half times one half?

This is amazing, how can such an off topic post based completely on
lunacy exist so long here? 54 posts and counting. I think i had this
very argument in grade school. We have SD'A, Tim Chase, MSRB, and yes
even Steve Holden again participating in the troll fest (even though
some of their arguments are true). Of course i would expect mensenator
to jump into this, but...

A while back i had wondered why Guido never posts to c.l.py anymore.
Was it because he thinks himself better than us, no, it's because of
the "low-brow-infantile-Jerry-Springer-ish-nature" that this list has
imploded into. *puke*
From: superpollo on
rantingrick ha scritto:
> On Apr 1, 3:44 pm, superpollo <ute...(a)esempio.net> wrote:
>> how much is one half times one half?
>
> This is amazing, how can such an off topic post based completely on
> lunacy exist so long here? 54 posts and counting. I think i had this
> very argument in grade school. We have SD'A, Tim Chase, MSRB, and yes
> even Steve Holden again participating in the troll fest (even though
> some of their arguments are true). Of course i would expect mensenator
> to jump into this, but...
>
> A while back i had wondered why Guido never posts to c.l.py anymore.
> Was it because he thinks himself better than us, no, it's because of
> the "low-brow-infantile-Jerry-Springer-ish-nature" that this list has
> imploded into. *puke*

relax mate.

From: Patrick Maupin on
On Apr 4, 10:00 am, rantingrick <rantingr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> This is amazing, how can such an off topic post based completely on
> lunacy exist so long here? 54 posts and counting. I think i had this
> very argument in grade school. We have SD'A, Tim Chase, MSRB, and yes
> even Steve Holden again participating in the troll fest (even though
> some of their arguments are true). Of course i would expect mensenator
> to jump into this, but...

Excellent technique. Pick a topic that is guaranteed in any universe
to generate a lot of posts (a short provocative question asked on
April Fool's Day), then stay above the fray, not posting until the
traffic dies down, and only then make a post expressly engineered to
try to start the traffic up again. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

I bow at the feet of the master.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: free proxy & fast
Next: C-style static variables in Python?