From: Georgiy on
I have windows xp sp3 on Pentium 2.80 GHz with 1GB of RAM with hard disk 149
GB that has 98 GB free now. I notice that only there are Restore Points for
one day and there is no System Volume Information folder at all though I
made all nessesary steps to see it. Your help will be appreciated.

From: SC Tom on

"Georgiy" <raduga(a)si.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have windows xp sp3 on Pentium 2.80 GHz with 1GB of RAM with hard disk
>149 GB that has 98 GB free now. I notice that only there are Restore Points
>for one day and there is no System Volume Information folder at all though
>I made all nessesary steps to see it. Your help will be appreciated.

A good place to start for SR problems is here:

System Restore troubleshooting http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

There are a lot of good solutions and links there.
--
SC Tom

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Did you just install SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Jose on
On Jul 15, 7:46 am, "Georgiy" <rad...(a)si.rr.com> wrote:
> I have windows xp sp3 on Pentium 2.80 GHz with 1GB of RAM with hard disk 149
> GB that has 98 GB free now. I notice that only there are Restore Points for
> one day and there is no System Volume Information folder at all though I
> made all nessesary steps to see it. Your help will be appreciated.

So far, the description does not make sense.

If you have one Restore Point, you have a System Volume Information
folder. It is actually a little awkward (but possible) to not have a
SVI folder at all. You can empty it and then delete it, but it will
just get recreated when you reboot. It may remain empty depending on
your setup, but chances are good that you have a SVI folder.

Have you ever used any third party applications on your system where
the product description includes such descriptive words such as:

cleaner, mechanic, detective, optimize, clean up, tune up, speed up,
fix up, compact, compress, faster, power, booster, guaranteed

Many tools like that have an option to delete all but the most recent
restore point, so the wound to your system could have been self
inflicted. Even the built in XP disk cleanup wizard can optionally
delete your RPs if you tell it to do so. Have you run that?

If you are compelled to look inside your SVI folder, here is an
article that tells you how to do it, but I would recommend you undo
your peeking when you are done:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

What necessary steps did you take to see it?

Here is a nice article about how SR looks when it is working normally:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

RPs do not accumulate forever and is is very likely that you will have
some days with zero RPs for the day and some days with a couple/
several depending on how you use your system. All this can be
explained easily.

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee,
Norton, Spybot, AVG, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Malicious software would like to break your SR, so when you are
reasonably sure that is not the problem, then start troubleshooting.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Why don't you make your self a new RP by hand and see what you have?

From: Georgiy on
> Did you just install SP3?
No. It was installed long time ago and SR worked good till now with all the
applications written below.