From: KOSAKI Motohiro on
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 08:32:08PM +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> > Now, select_bad_process() have PF_KTHREAD check, but oom_kill_process
> > doesn't. It mean oom_kill_process() may choose wrong task, especially,
> > when the child are using use_mm().
> Now oom_kill_process is called by three place.
>
> 1. mem_cgroup_out_of_memory
> 2. out_of_memory with sysctl_oom_kill_allocating_task
> 3. out_of_memory with non-sysctl_oom_kill_allocating_task
>
> I think it's no problem in 1 and 3 since select_bad_process already checks
> PF_KTHREAD. The problem in in 2.
> So How about put the check before calling oom_kill_process in case of
> sysctl_oom_kill_allocating task?
>
> if (sysctl_oom_kill_allocating_task) {
> if (!current->flags & PF_KTHREAD)
> oom_kill_process();
>
> It can remove duplicated PF_KTHREAD check in select_bad_process and
> oom_kill_process.

This patch changed child selection logic. select_bad_process() doesn't
check victim's child. IOW, this is necessary when all 1-3.

From: KOSAKI Motohiro on
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>

> > Now, select_bad_process() have PF_KTHREAD check, but oom_kill_process
> > doesn't. It mean oom_kill_process() may choose wrong task, especially,
> > when the child are using use_mm().
> >

> This type of check should be moved to badness(), it will prevent these
> types of tasks from being selected both in select_bad_process() and
> oom_kill_process() if the score it returns is 0.

No, process check order of select_bad_process() is certain meaningful.
Only PF_KTHREAD check can move into badness(). Okey, that's fix to
incorrect /proc/<pid>/oom_score issue.

From: KOSAKI Motohiro on
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:27:52PM +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> > Now, select_bad_process() have PF_KTHREAD check, but oom_kill_process
> > doesn't. It mean oom_kill_process() may choose wrong task, especially,
> > when the child are using use_mm().
>
> Is it possible child is kthread even though parent isn't kthread?

Usually unhappen. but crappy driver can do any strange thing freely.
As I said, oom code should have conservative assumption as far as possible.