From: David Mehler on
Hello,
I want to open an external link in a new window, i know i can do this
with xhtml, but only with the transitional dtd, which i'm not using. I
was wondering if php could pull this off?
Thanks.
Dave.
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 17:13 -0400, David Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to open an external link in a new window, i know i can do this
> with xhtml, but only with the transitional dtd, which i'm not using. I
> was wondering if php could pull this off?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

No. PHP is on the server, not the client-side. If you can't use
something like target="_blank" in your xhtml, then consider using
Javascript. It's not the ideal solution, as it won't work where
scripting is disabled or not available.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Andrew Ballard on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 17:13 -0400, David Mehler wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I want to open an external link in a new window, i know i can do this
>> with xhtml, but only with the transitional dtd, which i'm not using. I
>> was wondering if php could pull this off?
>> Thanks.
>> Dave.
>>

> No. PHP is on the server, not the client-side. If you can't use
> something like target="_blank" in your xhtml, then consider using
> Javascript. It's not the ideal solution, as it won't work where
> scripting is disabled or not available.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

It may or may not be the "ideal" solution, but I'm pretty sure it is
considered the "correct" solution going forward. I recall reading
somewhere that things like controlling the "target" for a link are
considered behavior rather than part of the document's semantic
structure, and therefore belong in scripting rather than markup under
XHTML. That makes sense given that one of the goals of XHTML is
structured documents that can be consumed by multiple services,
including but not exclusively web browsers.

This also has the side effect that the decision of whether to open a
link in the current window or a new window/tab belongs to the viewer
instead of the author, which some argue is exactly as it should be.

Andrew
From: Adam Richardson on
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Andrew Ballard <aballard(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 17:13 -0400, David Mehler wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I want to open an external link in a new window, i know i can do this
> >> with xhtml, but only with the transitional dtd, which i'm not using. I
> >> was wondering if php could pull this off?
> >> Thanks.
> >> Dave.
> >>

> > No. PHP is on the server, not the client-side. If you can't use
> > something like target="_blank" in your xhtml, then consider using
> > Javascript. It's not the ideal solution, as it won't work where
> > scripting is disabled or not available.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>
> It may or may not be the "ideal" solution, but I'm pretty sure it is
> considered the "correct" solution going forward. I recall reading
> somewhere that things like controlling the "target" for a link are
> considered behavior rather than part of the document's semantic
> structure, and therefore belong in scripting rather than markup under
> XHTML. That makes sense given that one of the goals of XHTML is
> structured documents that can be consumed by multiple services,
> including but not exclusively web browsers.
>
> This also has the side effect that the decision of whether to open a
> link in the current window or a new window/tab belongs to the viewer
> instead of the author, which some argue is exactly as it should be.
>
> Andrew

I'd avoid the target attribute, as it's deprecated in the strict versions
(and I'd avoid it for the reasons Andrew mentioned.)

For reading, here's a nice resource to start with:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200603/the_target_attribute_and_opening_new_windows/

Adam

--
Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 13:18 -0400, Adam Richardson wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Andrew Ballard <aballard(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> > <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> > > No. PHP is on the server, not the client-side. If you can't use
> > > something like target="_blank" in your xhtml, then consider using
> > > Javascript. It's not the ideal solution, as it won't work where
> > > scripting is disabled or not available.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ash
> > > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >
> > It may or may not be the "ideal" solution, but I'm pretty sure it is
> > considered the "correct" solution going forward. I recall reading
> > somewhere that things like controlling the "target" for a link are
> > considered behavior rather than part of the document's semantic
> > structure, and therefore belong in scripting rather than markup under
> > XHTML. That makes sense given that one of the goals of XHTML is
> > structured documents that can be consumed by multiple services,
> > including but not exclusively web browsers.
> >
> > This also has the side effect that the decision of whether to open a
> > link in the current window or a new window/tab belongs to the viewer
> > instead of the author, which some argue is exactly as it should be.
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > --
> >

> I'd avoid the target attribute, as it's deprecated in the strict versions
> (and I'd avoid it for the reasons Andrew mentioned.)
>
> For reading, here's a nice resource to start with:
> http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200603/the_target_attribute_and_opening_new_windows/
>
> Adam

There are still valid reasons to use it. On my own site for example, and
links which lead outside of my site open up in a new tab/window. I link
to a lot of other external sites often in my blog entries, and I think
it's valid that these links open up in new tabs/windows so that my site
is left open when they read the rest of the article.

I guess I could add some form of indication that the link will open up
in a new window though.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk