From: Roger on
On Jul 28, 11:26 am, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...(a)NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:
> You are correct that it does not seem possible with early-binding
> (attempting to set a reference to a different version of Access in
> References raises a "name conflict with existing library" error), but
> there seems to be no problem with late-binding. I just tried this in an
> A97 module:
>
> Sub testA2003()
> Dim obj As Object
> Set obj = CreateObject("Access.Application.10")
> Set obj = Nothing
> End Sub
>
> And it does seem to work. An instance of Access did appear in task
> manager. When I added "obj.visible=true", I could definitely see an
> instance of Access 2003 open when I stepped through the code.
>
> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
> > Actually, it's not really a case of being forward-compatible (you
> > can, as far as I know, open Excel 2007 documents from Access 97).
> > It's a case that you can't instantiate a different version of Access
> > from within Access. You wouldn't be able to instantiate Access 95
> > either (although it wouldn't matter, since you'd be able to open the
> > Access 95 database in the instantiated version of Access 97)
>
> > "ManningFan" <manning...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Jul 27, 7:33 pm, Roger <lesperan...(a)natpro.com> wrote:
> >> currently I have an access97 application that opens a second access97
> >> application using
> >> Dim objAccess As Access.Application
> >> On Error GoTo fErr
> >> Set objAccess = New Access.Application
> >> objAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase "path to access97.mdb"
>
> >> what do I need to change to open an access2003 application ?
>
> >> is it as simple as
> >> Set objAccess = New Access.Application.11 ?
>
> >> note, both access97 & access2003 are loaded on the computer
>
> > You need to import your 2k3 tables into an A97 database.  No program
> > on the planet (that I know of...) is forward-compatible, so there's no
> > way A97 could understand what 2k3's structure is.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Bob Barrows- Hide quoted text -

yes, I did try the createObject() earlier today and it works if both
versions are on your computer
but we're using citrix, and access97 & access2003 are sequenced
through softgrid, causing createObject() to fail
I guess converting all applications to access2003 is the way to go
From: Douglas J. Steele on
Makes sense.

Thanks, Bob.

--