From: Charles Seeger on
In article <i3shvkUkm8L1(a)news.in-ulm.de>,
Sven Mascheck <mascheck(a)email.invalid> wrote:

| Geoff was referring to the current standard, not an out-of-date one
| you were looking for. (And the page for the command command contains
| the rationale as an additional section.)

I saw the paragraph in XRAT-6 C.1.4 "Change History" saying
it covered the changes since Issue 5 and the following paragraph
"also lists the changes since the ISO POSIX-2: 1993 standard".
So, I was looking for the rationale from the initial standard,
rather than the subsequent changes, thinking that there might
be more contemporaneous details.

Skimming through XCU-6, I saw where -v and -V were additions so some
earlier spec, but missed the mention of the Eighth Edition "builtin".
I reckon that "command" was a reasonable change from "builtin",
even though it makes searching for it rather troublesome. 8-)

| ash originally didn't know "command" but "bltin".
| This was changed soon ('91) but the flags were added
| later (individually on more, now different flavours),
| e.g. about '98 in dash, or in '03 on NetBSD.

Thanks for the extra info, Sven, and especially for your web pages.
They are a wonderful resource.

Best Regards,
Chuck