From: Bart on
I'm using this and ran across backslash issues in one of my paths.

archpath = os.path.normpath('E:\foo\FTP\HLS\archive')

was translating to:

E:\lsfprod\law\uch_interfaces\FTP\HLSrchive

which caused me to start using the 'raw' declaration before the path
string like this:

archpath = os.path.normpath(r'E:\foo\FTP\HLS\archive')

Is this the right way to use this?

From: Peter Otten on
Bart wrote:

> I'm using this and ran across backslash issues in one of my paths.
>
> archpath = os.path.normpath('E:\foo\FTP\HLS\archive')
>
> was translating to:
>
> E:\lsfprod\law\uch_interfaces\FTP\HLSrchive
>
> which caused me to start using the 'raw' declaration before the path
> string like this:
>
> archpath = os.path.normpath(r'E:\foo\FTP\HLS\archive')
>
> Is this the right way to use this?

Yes, but os.path.normpath() has nothing to with it. It's just how Python
translates any string literal to a string object, see

http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#string-literals

Peter