From: bos1234 on
A continuous data signal is quantized and transmitted using a PCM system.
If each data sample at the receiving end of the system must be known to
within 0.5 percent of the peak-to-peak full-scale value, how many binary
symbols must each transmitted digital word contain?

I assumed that pk-pk of the signal is some constant A.
So what is represented by Ax0.5%??
From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/20/2010 06:41 PM, bos1234 wrote:
> A continuous data signal is quantized and transmitted using a PCM system.
> If each data sample at the receiving end of the system must be known to
> within 0.5 percent of the peak-to-peak full-scale value, how many binary
> symbols must each transmitted digital word contain?
>
> I assumed that pk-pk of the signal is some constant A.
> So what is represented by Ax0.5%??

Homework? What does your prof say? If you represent A with an N-bit
binary number that's all ones, then what's the value of 00 ... 01 (i.e.
N-1 zeros and a 1 in the least significant place).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: bos1234 on
>On 06/20/2010 06:41 PM, bos1234 wrote:
>> A continuous data signal is quantized and transmitted using a PCM
system.
>> If each data sample at the receiving end of the system must be known to
>> within 0.5 percent of the peak-to-peak full-scale value, how many
binary
>> symbols must each transmitted digital word contain?
>>
>> I assumed that pk-pk of the signal is some constant A.
>> So what is represented by Ax0.5%??
>
>Homework? What does your prof say? If you represent A with an N-bit
>binary number that's all ones, then what's the value of 00 ... 01 (i.e.
>N-1 zeros and a 1 in the least significant place).
>
>--
>Tim Wescott
>Control system and signal processing consulting
>www.wescottdesign.com

studying for exam. This is what the soln. says...
q=2^n=A/del
note:
del --> delta --> the distance between a quantisation level.

del/2 < 0.5/100* A where A is the pk-pk value of the data signal.

del < 0.01A
de/A < 0.01
A/del > 100 so q =128 and n=7

But does this even answer the question when they ask "how many binary
symbols must each transmitted digital word contain"
Isn't binary symbol a 0 or 1?

From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/21/2010 06:13 AM, bos1234 wrote:
>> On 06/20/2010 06:41 PM, bos1234 wrote:
>>> A continuous data signal is quantized and transmitted using a PCM
> system.
>>> If each data sample at the receiving end of the system must be known to
>>> within 0.5 percent of the peak-to-peak full-scale value, how many
> binary
>>> symbols must each transmitted digital word contain?
>>>
>>> I assumed that pk-pk of the signal is some constant A.
>>> So what is represented by Ax0.5%??
>>
>> Homework? What does your prof say? If you represent A with an N-bit
>> binary number that's all ones, then what's the value of 00 ... 01 (i.e.
>> N-1 zeros and a 1 in the least significant place).
>>
>> --
>> Tim Wescott
>> Control system and signal processing consulting
>> www.wescottdesign.com
>>
> studying for exam. This is what the soln. says...
> q=2^n=A/del
> note:
> del --> delta --> the distance between a quantisation level.
>
> del/2< 0.5/100* A where A is the pk-pk value of the data signal.
>
> del< 0.01A
> de/A< 0.01
> A/del> 100 so q =128 and n=7
>
> But does this even answer the question when they ask "how many binary
> symbols must each transmitted digital word contain"
> Isn't binary symbol a 0 or 1?

Isn't it? If it were, would you need to send 128 of them, or 7, or some
other number, to slice the pulse into 128 levels?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: bos1234 on
>> system.
>> binary

>>> Homework? What does your prof say? If you represent A with an N-bit
>>> binary number that's all ones, then what's the value of 00 ... 01
(i.e.
>>> N-1 zeros and a 1 in the least significant place).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tim Wescott
>>> Control system and signal processing consulting
>>> www.wescottdesign.com
>>>
>> studying for exam. This is what the soln. says...
>> q=2^n=A/del
>> note:
>> del --> delta --> the distance between a quantisation level.
>>
>> del/2< 0.5/100* A where A is the pk-pk value of the data signal.
>>
>> del< 0.01A
>> de/A< 0.01
>> A/del> 100 so q =128 and n=7
>>
>> But does this even answer the question when they ask "how many binary
>> symbols must each transmitted digital word contain"
>> Isn't binary symbol a 0 or 1?
>
>Isn't it? If it were, would you need to send 128 of them, or 7, or some
>other number, to slice the pulse into 128 levels?
>
>--
>Tim Wescott
>Control system and signal processing consulting
>www.wescottdesign.com

what you mean??? So there are 128 levels and 7 bits/sample. I cannot
extract any more information from the question other that this