From: David on
I'm having a problem with a web app that sees a session variable as null
until a page reload.

These are the steps:

1. Web app loads an array of string data into a session variable
2. Go to another page using response.redirect(“mynextpage.aspx”)
3. Return to current page using window.open(“mypage.aspx”,”_self”) call in
javascript file
4. Upon returning, process initially sees session variable as null (this is
not good);
5. refresh page using browser green arrows button, process now sees session
variable as not null, and contains the array (this is what I need)

Other items:
• Problem only shows up on this one page. Other pages with similar processes
work fine.
• The problem doesn't appear to be a postback issue.
• This only happens on two machines that we've tested. One has IE8, one has
IE7.
• Other PCs with IE7 and IE8, no problems.
• Looking at the browser internet options, I'm not seeing any real
differences.

thanks for any help pointing me to a resolution.

From: Brian Cryer on
"David" <David(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem with a web app that sees a session variable as null
> until a page reload.
>
> These are the steps:
>
> 1. Web app loads an array of string data into a session variable
> 2. Go to another page using response.redirect(“mynextpage.aspx”)
> 3. Return to current page using window.open(“mypage.aspx”,”_self”) call in
> javascript file
> 4. Upon returning, process initially sees session variable as null (this
> is
> not good);
> 5. refresh page using browser green arrows button, process now sees
> session
> variable as not null, and contains the array (this is what I need)
>
> Other items:
> • Problem only shows up on this one page. Other pages with similar
> processes
> work fine.
> • The problem doesn't appear to be a postback issue.
> • This only happens on two machines that we've tested. One has IE8, one
> has
> IE7.
> • Other PCs with IE7 and IE8, no problems.
> • Looking at the browser internet options, I'm not seeing any real
> differences.
>
> thanks for any help pointing me to a resolution.

Is the SessionID the same? or does it change? In my experience loss of
session data happens when the SessionID gets lost for some reason. Normally
this is stored in a cookie, and you don't have to worry about it. If you
call Session.Abandon then that will loose your data, but otherwise if
something is changing/resetting the SessionID then that would account for
what you are seeing. So, if you display the SessionID on the page at each
stage in the process does it remain the same or does it get changed at any
point?
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian