From: Rob Christiansen on
Seriously, have you even tried searching for this? <-- You bet I do. I
work at this 9-10 hrs a day. OK, now I can pass variables between
scripts
(<input type=hidden . . . and request.queryString, etc) but how about
arrays - hundreds of subsets? I've tried catting all the subs into a
string and then passing the string (and then var RecordsToPrint =
String( Request.QueryString("string" ) ); and RecordsArray =
RecordsToPrint.split(" " ); ).
It works, but not when I use xxxx.redirect();

crazyswede

From: Evertjan. on
Rob Christiansen wrote on 30 apr 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Seriously, have you even tried searching for this?

Non of your business!
This is about Javascript here, not about what we do with our time.

Probably most of us know tha answer already,
but your exact Q is another matter.

most of us stop and think,
then try and debug the logical outcome of the thought-process.

Building javscript scripts form seaching the scripts of others seems a
nice shortcut, but as you lacked the thought and debugging cyclus you
ware boud to get into trouble later, when you are using lines you do not
realy understand.

<-- You bet I do. I

No, we are not that interested in what you do.
and betting is not a subject of this NG.

> work at this 9-10 hrs a day. OK, now I can pass variables between
> scripts
> (<input type=hidden . . . and request.queryString, etc)

That is not between scripts, Javascript-scripts I presume you mean, but
between html-pages.

Lots of info can be passed that way,
but there is a limit to the form-get/querystring(),
that is absent in the form-post/form() method.

I suggest you use the latter.

You are not confined to a real input-hidden method,
you could also use a virtual dom-form directly
with clientside Javascript.

[virtual in the sense that the form is not appended to the dom-tree]

This was discussed recently in this NG:

var form = document.createElement("form");
form.setAttribute("method", "post");
form.setAttribute("action", destinationUrl );
// form.setAttribute("target", "resultTarget");
var hiddenField = document.createElement("input");
hiddenField.setAttribute("name", "t");
hiddenField.setAttribute("value", allTheInfoAsPuppetsOnAString );
form.appendChild(hiddenField);
form.submit();

> but how about arrays - hundreds of subsets?

Does the amout matter? an array is just a number of variables.

> I've tried catting

I prefer dogging, and debugging ofcourse.

> all the subs into a

What subs, subroutines, perchance?

> string

Ah, do you mean members of an array into a concatenated string,
as we told you? but that was for conversion between vbs and js, I seem to
remember.

> and then passing the string (and then

> var RecordsToPrint = String( Request.QueryString("string" ) );

This is stange.

Why this capitation and why converting a string into a string?

> and

> RecordsArray = RecordsToPrint.split(" " ); ).

error, second ")".

> It works,

It cannot, gave an error.

but not when I use xxxx.redirect();

Yes? What would you like to have worked?

Read up on "does not work" crazyness.

================================

I do send lots of information tot the server where the
allTheInfoAsPuppetsOnAString even could be a whole html-page to be parsed
on the server.

If you define the "target" as another window, a page's javascript could
also send these form-data repeatedly, say a 1000 times, without
interruption, given a reasonable time-out and error-recovery where data
is missing.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.