From: Christoph Hellwig on
> Show all potential probes in a process by pid 21106 across all dsos
> # perf probe -S -p 21106 | tail

Again, a file based interface would be much more useful. E.g. what
possible probe points do I have in my qemu binary.

Btw, this doesn't mean I want to see the PID based variant removed, it
can be very useful for debugging long running processes. I just don't
think it's the most important / conveniant one.
From: Srikar Dronamraju on

> > Show all potential probes in a process by pid 21106 across all dsos
> > # perf probe -S -p 21106 | tail
>
> Again, a file based interface would be much more useful. E.g. what
> possible probe points do I have in my qemu binary.

Right, Currently perf probe needs -p option because it depend on
thread->map_groups for listing the dsos and its functions.

I am not sure if perf already has ability to list functions in a file
esp if we dont have dwarf information in that file. If perf has the
ability I will reuse it here or will try implementing one.

Arnaldo, Do you know offhand if perf already has the ability to list
functions in a file (with / without dwarf info).

> Btw, this doesn't mean I want to see the PID based variant removed, it
> can be very useful for debugging long running processes. I just don't
> think it's the most important / conveniant one.

Agree.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar
From: Srikar Dronamraju on

> Show all potentail probes in a process by pid 21106 limit to libc.so dso.

Actually It should have been

Show all potential probes in a process by pid 21106 limit to zsh dso.

> # perf probe -S -p 21106 -D zsh | tail
> zstrtol
> ztrcmp
> ztrdup
> ztrduppfx
> ztrftime
> ztrlen
> ztrncpy
> ztrsub
> zwarn
> zwarnnam

Sorry for the mismatch.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar
From: Ingo Molnar on

* Srikar Dronamraju <srikar(a)linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> > > Show all potential probes in a process by pid 21106 across all dsos
> > > # perf probe -S -p 21106 | tail
> >
> > Again, a file based interface would be much more useful. E.g. what
> > possible probe points do I have in my qemu binary.
>
> Right, Currently perf probe needs -p option because it depend on
> thread->map_groups for listing the dsos and its functions.
>
> I am not sure if perf already has ability to list functions in a file esp if
> we dont have dwarf information in that file. If perf has the ability I will
> reuse it here or will try implementing one.

Excellent - this would increase usability very visibly.

People fundamentally like to work in the ASCII space: command names, function
names, etc. People like to query these spaces to figure out what's available
and use wildcards to define categories or limit queries.

PIDs and addresses are useful too - but it's mostly for computers or for
odd-one-out cases: tools and the occasional need-something-on-the-PID-level
lowlevel workflow.

Thanks,

Ingo