From: Ingo Molnar on

* Steven Rostedt <rostedt(a)goodmis.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 13:20 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 19:13 +0800, Lin Ming wrote:
> > > iwlwifi and iwlwifi_io tracepoint events are exported like below,
> >
> > > drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl3945-base.c | 15 +++++++++++++++
> > > 1 files changed, 15 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
> >
> > err, how about iwlagn?
>
> A lot of work went into making the include/trace/events/*.h be able to
> automate the work. Now it seems that we are going to hand code a lot, and a
> developer that adds a new system or such will now need to understand the
> internals of perf to use it. That was what I strived to avoid when creating
> the TRACE_EVENT() macros.

Yeah - and the point of this submission is to allow the discussion of how to
achieve these registrations.

Driver authors will want to have some control - for example the place where
the events directory shows up in sysfs within the driver's directory structure
- etc.

But we indeed want to automate it as much as possible.

Thanks,

Ingo