From: Frederic Weisbecker on
On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 11:57:20AM +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Hello
>
> Current linux-2.6 tree panics on my dev machine
>
> 64 bit kernel, 32bit user land
> CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y
>
> perf timechart record &
>
> Instant crash
>
> Call Trace:
> perf_trace_sched_switch+0xd5/0x120
> schedule+0x6b5/0x860
> retint_careful+0xd/0x21
>
> RIP ffffffff81010955 perf_arch_fetch_caller_regs+0x15/0x40
> CR2: 00000000d21f1422
>

> rewind_frame_pointer() is probably wrong.
>
> No test performed to check frame is in current stack, or
> that (!user_mode_vm(regs))

user_mode_vm() can not work here as we are actually filling
regs from scratch.

But we indeed need to have a safe dereference to avoid such
crashes. A simple probe_kernel_address() should do the trick.

This API is going to change for the next cycle as it won't need
to rewind further than the first caller. So I'm going to do a
rough probe_kernel_address() fix for the current version. The next
one won't have this problem.