From: Stephane Eranian on
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz(a)infradead.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:50 -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
>
>> Nope, see above.
>
> Ah, -p/-t might make sense to default to inherit off indeed.

I would rather think that -p would inherit but not -t.
If I attach to a multi-threaded app with -p, I'd like all threads monitored.
But if I use -t to point to a specific thread within a process, then most
likely I care only about that thread.

--
Stephane Eranian | EMEA Software Engineering
Google France | 38 avenue de l'Opéra | 75002 Paris
From: Peter Zijlstra on

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo on
Em Tue, May 11, 2010 at 05:52:11PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra escreveu:
> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:50 -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
>
> > Nope, see above.
>
> Ah, -p/-t might make sense to default to inherit off indeed.

That is what Stephane wanted in the first place, right?

- Arnaldo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo on
Em Tue, May 11, 2010 at 05:55:44PM +0200, Stephane Eranian escreveu:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz(a)infradead.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:50 -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> >
> >> Nope, see above.
> >
> > Ah, -p/-t might make sense to default to inherit off indeed.
> >

> I would rather think that -p would inherit but not -t.
> If I attach to a multi-threaded app with -p, I'd like all threads monitored.
> But if I use -t to point to a specific thread within a process, then most
> likely I care only about that thread.

Ok, so fine tuning of the inherit flag is needed, i.e. we need both a
--inherit and a --no-inherit, well, good thing is that I think that the
option parsing stuff we, erm, inherited from git does just that, lemme
check how it works in this case more precisely...

- Arnaldo
From: Stephane Eranian on
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
<acme(a)infradead.org> wrote:
> Em Tue, May 11, 2010 at 05:52:11PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra escreveu:
>> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:50 -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
>>
>> > Nope, see above.
>>
>> Ah, -p/-t might make sense to default to inherit off indeed.
>
> That is what Stephane wanted in the first place, right?

I was asking about the general behavior of the tool and
the contradictory meaning of the -i options.

perf record foo -> default=inherit on, use -i to disable
perf record -t 1234 -> default=inherit off
perf record -p 1234 -> default=on, use -i to disable

What about that?