From: Andi Kleen on
Peter Zijlstra <peterz(a)infradead.org> writes:

> Subject: perf, x86: Add Nehelem PMU programming errata workaround
> From: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra(a)chello.nl>
> Date: Fri Mar 26 13:59:41 CET 2010
>
> Implement the workaround for Intel Errata AAK100 and AAP53.
>
> Also, remove the Core-i7 name for Nehalem events since there are also
> Westmere based i7 chips.

Did you actually see this happen?

It looks like this will make the context switch into a perf
enabled process _MUCH_ more expensive, MSR writes are very slow.

-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Stephane Eranian on
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Andi Kleen <andi(a)firstfloor.org> wrote:
> Peter Zijlstra <peterz(a)infradead.org> writes:
>
>> Subject: perf, x86: Add Nehelem PMU programming errata workaround
>> From: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra(a)chello.nl>
>> Date: Fri Mar 26 13:59:41 CET 2010
>>
>> Implement the workaround for Intel Errata AAK100 and AAP53.
>>
>> Also, remove the Core-i7 name for Nehalem events since there are also
>> Westmere based i7 chips.
>
> Did you actually see this happen?

This is the same as AAJ91. At the time, I created a test program and it was
moderately easy to reproduce.

> It looks like this will make the context switch into a perf
> enabled process _MUCH_ more expensive, MSR writes are very slow.

Yes, but there is no alternative, I suspect.