From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Greg Heath <heath(a)alumni.brown.edu> wrote:
(snip)

> If the phase is obtained via the ratio y/x via atan2(y,x), the
> principal value
> is defined over the half closed interval (-pi,pi].

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atan2

According to the current Fortran standard, it is the
closed interval [-pi,pi], assuming the processor has
a negative zero.

Very strange, but that is what they did.

-- glen
From: Clay on
On Jan 18, 4:08 am, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Greg Heath <he...(a)alumni.brown.edu> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > If the phase is obtained via the ratio y/x via atan2(y,x), the
> > principal value
> > is defined over the half closed interval (-pi,pi].
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atan2
>
> According to the current Fortran standard, it is the
> closed interval [-pi,pi], assuming the processor has
> a negative zero.
>
> Very strange, but that is what they did.
>
> -- glen

There is probably a good story in there! Perhaps they were trying to
maintain capatibility with something from before.

Clay
From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
I just realized something.

For a real signal x(t), isn't the magnitude spectrum an even function and
the phase spectrum an odd function?

Since sinc(t) is a real function, the book is really correct as it shows the
phase spectrum as an odd function.

--Nasser