From: Mel Comisarow on
I have used iData, a free form digital Rolodex, i.e. digital address
book, since the old Classic days when its predecessor was QuickDEX. A
convenient feature of iData/QuickDEX was using it as phone dialer via an
external "MiniDIN-8 serial connector" phone modem. I used the various
modem models by USRobotics and more recently the internal phone modem of
my DP G5. My recently commissioned Mac Mini has no internal modem so I
purchased a USRobotics USB model V.92 phone modem for use with iData.
When I execute iData --> Preferences --> Modem, which is the step to
recognize and configure the external modem, the modem indicator lights
flash in a reassuring manner and then iData returns the message
"No modem found".
I contacted the iData folks who replied that iData phone configures and
dials properly with the Apple USB phone modem (no longer on the market),
but they have no experience with the USB USRobotics modem. FWIW, the
USRobotics modem functions properly as a fax modem when used with the OS
10.5.6 fax software when I connect it to the phone line and send a fax
message. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get iData to dial
phones via this USR V.92 modem? Thanks.

Pages: 1
Prev: Windows Obfuscation
Next: Energy Saving Tips