From: RichD on
According to the wave theory of light, angle of
incidence equals angle of reflection. No problem,
in theory or fact.

However, per QM, light falls as a 'rain' of photons.
What happens then? As I understand it (big qualifier
there), the photons are absorbed by surface atoms.
Electrons jump to higher energy orbitals, then fall
back to ground state, emitting photon(s) of its
characteristic spectrum. Simple....

This raises several questions, regarding geometry...
the aforementioned angles are defined relative
to a surface normal. But the surface is not truly
continuous, it's atomic and chunky. How does an
atom know where the 'normal' is? How does it
know which direction to fire its photons, after a
time delay? Does it have some sort of 'light
momentum' memory?

I never studied quantum field theory, maybe it's
explained there...

--
Rich
From: Phil Allison on

"RichDope"

> According to the wave theory of light, angle of
> incidence equals angle of reflection. No problem,
> in theory or fact.
>
> However, per QM, light falls as a 'rain' of photons.
> What happens then? As I understand it (big qualifier
> there), the photons are absorbed by surface atoms.
> Electrons jump to higher energy orbitals, then fall
> back to ground state, emitting photon(s) of its
> characteristic spectrum. Simple....

** Think you need to read up on how reflection of light really works.

Cos what you describe above sounds more like how a light pumped gas laser
works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QED_(book)

..... Phil

From: Salmon Egg on
In article
<7d8aade9-635f-4ef9-9c04-ebafbc5b7a42(a)o13g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
RichD <r_delaney2001(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> According to the wave theory of light, angle of
> incidence equals angle of reflection. No problem,
> in theory or fact.
>
> However, per QM, light falls as a 'rain' of photons.
> What happens then? As I understand it (big qualifier
> there), the photons are absorbed by surface atoms.
> Electrons jump to higher energy orbitals, then fall
> back to ground state, emitting photon(s) of its
> characteristic spectrum. Simple....
>
> This raises several questions, regarding geometry...
> the aforementioned angles are defined relative
> to a surface normal. But the surface is not truly
> continuous, it's atomic and chunky. How does an
> atom know where the 'normal' is? How does it
> know which direction to fire its photons, after a
> time delay? Does it have some sort of 'light
> momentum' memory?
>
> I never studied quantum field theory, maybe it's
> explained there...
>
> --
> Rich

Quantum Electrodynamics does indeed explain. Feynman wrote a book (with
help because he hated the effort required to write books) s entitled QED
to cover the topic. My guess is that there still is a series of lectures
given at the University of Auckland on-line. Googke for it.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
From: nuny on
On Nov 27, 4:24 pm, RichD <r_delaney2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> According to the wave theory of light, angle of
> incidence equals angle of reflection.  No problem,
> in theory or fact.

Not just the relatively new wave theory. "Snell's" law and ray
theory go back to Alhazen.

> However, per QM, light falls as a 'rain' of photons.
> What happens then?  As I understand it (big qualifier
> there), the photons are absorbed by surface atoms.
> Electrons jump to higher energy orbitals, then fall
> back to ground state, emitting photon(s) of its
> characteristic spectrum.  Simple....

Not really *that* simple. The presence of electrons' charges absorbs
some energy from passing photons and slows them down; the charges then
oscillate out of phase with the photons, generating their own
alternating field which interferes with the incoming photons. The
resultant of the interference, with the same frequency but shorter
wavelength as the incoming photons, then is either transmitted into
the material containing the electrons, or reflected out of it,
depending on the angle of incidence.

> This raises several questions, regarding geometry...
> the aforementioned angles are defined relative
> to a surface normal.  But the surface is not truly
> continuous, it's atomic and chunky.  How does an
> atom know where the 'normal' is?  How does it
> know which direction to fire its photons, after a
> time delay?  Does it have some sort of 'light
> momentum' memory?

Transmission, reflection, and refraction at a surface are governed
by the ratios of the refractive index on both sides of the surface.

The whole atom does not reflect photons, the electrons do, and
orbitals are distorted by being involved in bonds that hold atoms
together. An atom's electrons on the surface of an object see half of
the universe as "constricted" by the fields of other atom's electrons,
the other half as "free" of that constriction. The photons' energy
can't be held onto by the electrons forever, they _have_ to let go of
it, and the most likely direction is that with the lower index.

Very roughly speaking.

> I never studied quantum field theory, maybe it's
> explained there...

Hope that helps.

Mark L. Fergerson
From: Skywise on
RichD <r_delaney2001(a)yahoo.com> wrote in news:7d8aade9-635f-4ef9-9c04-
ebafbc5b7a42(a)o13g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

> I never studied quantum field theory, maybe it's
> explained there...

I will add my voice to the recommendation of QED by Feynman. It
was a very enjoyable read, and you don't need to be a math major
to comprehend it, as there is no math.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?