From: Richard Quadling on
2009/4/14 Alvaro Carrasco <alvaro(a)fractaldata.net>:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Sorry about not sending to the list, I found this post while browsing the
> internet and i'm not subscribed to the php-windows list.
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'm trying to find an ORM tool to allow me to talk to Microsoft SQL
>
>> servers (V7, 2000 and 2005) for Windows.
>>
>> For those that use ORM, what do you use?
>>

> I'm the main developer of Outlet ORM and I currently use it with SQL Server
> 2005. Outlet relies on PDO and I use the PDO_ODBC driver when connecting to
> SQL Server from windows. Here is the link to the project:
>
> http://www.outlet-orm.org
>
>> I've looked at Doctrine (requires php_pdo_mssql which isn't part of
>> the VC9 win32 builds; for the VC6 builds, it requires ntwdblib.dll
>
>> which is oh so dead).
>>
>> I'm looking into Propel next. This now seems to be using PDO and
>> PDO_MSSQL, so it seems I've got the same problems.
>>
>> Ideally, using the nice shiny Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Driver for PHP
>
>> from Microsoft (http://www.codeplex.com/SQL2K5PHP) would be nice. But
>> this isn't PDO.
>>
>> Is there anyone capable of getting the Microsoft driver PDO aware?
>

> I'm planning on wrapping the new 2005 driver with a PDO-interface. In case
> you're interested, I'll post my progress to the outlet mailing list at:
> http://groups.google.com/group/outlet-orm
>

>> Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Quadling.
>
> Feel free to redistribute this email if you want.
>

> Alvaro Carrasco

Thank you to Alvaro for this.

Alvaro, will you be able to submit your wrapper to PHP so that it can
become part of the core release? Currently, for VC9, there is no
php_mssql or php_pdo_mssql (php-5.3-win32-VC9-x86-latest as at
2009/04/15 04:50)

A replacement is needed.

Regards,

Richard Quadling.

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: Alvaro Carrasco on
See below

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Richard Quadling
<rquadling(a)googlemail.com>wrote:

> 2009/4/14 Alvaro Carrasco <alvaro(a)fractaldata.net>:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > Sorry about not sending to the list, I found this post while browsing the
> > internet and i'm not subscribed to the php-windows list.
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to find an ORM tool to allow me to talk to Microsoft SQL
> >
> >> servers (V7, 2000 and 2005) for Windows.
> >>
> >> For those that use ORM, what do you use?
> >>

> > I'm the main developer of Outlet ORM and I currently use it with SQL
> Server
> > 2005. Outlet relies on PDO and I use the PDO_ODBC driver when connecting
> > SQL Server from windows. Here is the link to the project:
> >
> > http://www.outlet-orm.org
> >
> >> I've looked at Doctrine (requires php_pdo_mssql which isn't part of
> >> the VC9 win32 builds; for the VC6 builds, it requires ntwdblib.dll
> >
> >> which is oh so dead).
> >>
> >> I'm looking into Propel next. This now seems to be using PDO and
> >> PDO_MSSQL, so it seems I've got the same problems.
> >>
> >> Ideally, using the nice shiny Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Driver for PHP
> >
> >> from Microsoft (http://www.codeplex.com/SQL2K5PHP) would be nice. But
> >> this isn't PDO.
> >>
> >> Is there anyone capable of getting the Microsoft driver PDO aware?
> >

> > I'm planning on wrapping the new 2005 driver with a PDO-interface. In
> case
> > you're interested, I'll post my progress to the outlet mailing list at:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/outlet-orm
> >

> >> Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Quadling.
> >
> > Feel free to redistribute this email if you want.
> >

> > Alvaro Carrasco
> >

> Thank you to Alvaro for this.
>

> Alvaro, will you be able to submit your wrapper to PHP so that it can
> become part of the core release? Currently, for VC9, there is no
> php_mssql or php_pdo_mssql (php-5.3-win32-VC9-x86-latest as at
> 2009/04/15 04:50)

Sorry, I meant a wrapper written in PHP that extends PDO but uses the new
driver's functions. Unfortunately, my C skills are not quite where they need
to be to write a PHP extension :(

I also just realized that the new driver uses the ODBC client for the
underlying low-level communication. Is there any benefit to using this new
driver as opposed to the PDO_ODBC driver to connect SQL Server?

Alvaro

From: Elizabeth M Smith on

> Sorry, I meant a wrapper written in PHP that extends PDO but uses the new
> driver's functions. Unfortunately, my C skills are not quite where they need
> to be to write a PHP extension :(
>
> I also just realized that the new driver uses the ODBC client for the
> underlying low-level communication. Is there any benefit to using this new
> driver as opposed to the PDO_ODBC driver to connect SQL Server?
>
> Alvaro

The only difference I've come across is streams + lobs work properly in
the new driver, they don't work quite right with PDO_ODBC. So if you're
doing lobs and want to use them as php streams, use the new driver.
However PDO is getting a fix for this bug... this may not be true in the
future.

Otherwise, no there is no benefit.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Smith