From: Chris Rebert on
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Alan <alanwilter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
> Please, can someone at least try this code below in python 3 and report me
> back whether it works or not? Because for me this code works in python 2.6
> but not with python 3.1. Thanks!

Please specify *in exactly what way* the code is not working.
Is an exception being thrown? Then include the full traceback.
Is the behavior not what you expected/intended? Then say what it's
doing vs. what you want it to do.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Getting Debugging Help 101: Don't just say "there's a problem". Say
what the problem is.
From: rantingrick on
On Aug 3, 2:11 am, Chris Rebert <c...(a)rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Alan <alanwil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello List,
> > Please, can someone at least try this code below in python 3 and report me
> > back whether it works or not? Because for me this code works in python 2.6
> > but not with python 3.1. Thanks!

Oh my Gawd! Python3x is not backwards compatible! 8^O

You know it would be nice if you "esteemed" Pythonista's would send
out a newsletter or something before making changes that could break
code. We are trying to maintain a code base out here you know. Geez!
From: Chris Rebert on
I will explain. I am using for a task 'find /' expecting this to last
longer, usually much longer than 5 sec.
If you run the code I sent in python 2.6, it will stop after 5 sec and
print messages.
If you run the same code in python3 (and if your task last more than 5
sec as expected, otherwise replace "cmd = 'find /'" with something
suitable), python3 alarm doesn't work and the job is not stopped after
5 sec, taking minutes to finish.
I hope it may help you to help me.
Thanks,
Alan

--
Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.
From: rantingrick on
On Aug 3, 2:28 am, Chris Rebert <c...(a)rebertia.com> wrote:
> [...]

Well it looks like he forgot to post the traceback!
From: Steven D'Aprano on
Hello Alan,

I'm sorry, I can't see the code you say you posted. I can't see ANY of
your posts, only the replies from Chris Rebert.

Are you using Google Groups to post? If so, many people here will have
difficulty seeing your posts, as Google Groups is notorious for allowing
spammers, and in self-defence many mailing lists and newsgroups just
ignore anything from Google Groups.

Looking at the message Chris forwarded:

[quote]
I am using for a task 'find /' expecting this to last longer, usually
much longer than 5 sec. If you run the code I sent in python 2.6, it
will stop after 5 sec and print messages. If you run the same code in
python3 (and if your task last more than 5 sec as expected, otherwise
replace "cmd = 'find /'" with something suitable), python3 alarm
doesn't work and the job is not stopped after 5 sec, taking minutes to
finish.
[end quote]

I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails of that. At the very least,
you need to explain what code you are using, and what the problem is.
What do you mean "python3 alarm doesn't work"? What alarm? What do you
mean it doesn't work? Just saying "it doesn't work" is pointless.

Is the problem that your code runs in seconds under Python 2.6 and takes
minutes under Python 3.1? Are you sure you are using 3.1 and not 3.0? 3.0
is VERY slow and should be avoided.

We may need to see your code, and some sample data, in order to have any
hope of helping you.

Regards,

Steven.

--