From: Jeff Thies on
rf wrote:
> "Jeff Thies" <jeff_thies(a)att.net> wrote in message
>> Ben C wrote:
>
>>> Don't you mean "position: absolute" on this one?
>> Absolutely!
>
>>> It seems to me the natural and obvious way to do it.
>> Except, I've run into trouble with the column_wrapper having no height.
>
> Of course it won't have any height. position: absolute removes the element
> from the flow. As far as the layout of the rest of the content is concerned
> (the wrapper div) it's as if that element did not exist. Make sure you put
> nice big borders around all of your divs, so you can see where they are
> going. Or use firebug to add the borders.
>
>> I had assumed that the child divs, even though they are absolutely
>> positioned inside, would give it height. But they do not.
>
> Correct. For layout purposes they are no longer "child divs". They don't
> "take up any space".
>
> And that's the problem with this. People get as far as you have and then
> think "Let's give all those divs a specific height" and choose one that
> looks good. For them. On their system. Then a viewer comes along with a
> larger font size and ... well, think about it :-)
>
>> The usual tricks to trigger has layout don't work.
>
> Correct, although there are no "tricks" to make this work the way you expect
> it to. And it's nothing to do with has layout. The wrapper div no longer has
> any content, as far as its layout is concerned.
>
>> And a footer is now a topper!
>
> No, it's not. It's below the wrapper div, where it should be. Put a bit of
> other content inside the wrapper div, but outside the column divs and you'll
> see.
>
>> Either I'm doing something wrong or I need to rethink.
>
> Rethink.

Do you have a better idea?

I'm thinking this:

content+right_side_width">

MAIN CONTENT

RIGHT SIDEBAR CONTENT

Or, is it as has been suggested:

http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ultimate-3-column-holy-grail-pixels.htm

Which has always looked a bit unholy to set up, to me.

But only after reading very very carefully the chapters in the spec
> on absolute, and relative, positioning. They don't do what you think they
> do.

It would be easier if Google could figure out what was content and
what was navigation...

Jeff

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2