From: bruce on
hey

new to configuring postfix, got a few questions about how to configure postfix.

I'm running Centos/Fedora, with Postfix, from the basic yum install.
The Sendmail process has been stopped.

I can easily send a basic test mail from the cmdline. Ie:

mail foo(a)gmail.com
subject: blah
test
.

works with no issue. However, the email on the gmail end, is in the
Spam folder, which is to be expected.

As I understand the different articles I've seen, Postfix can be
configured to allow me to authenticate emails, to in effect,
relay/send them using the authenticaion of a valid email user/passwd
from a valid gmail account. (or from my own isp user/passwd).

I've seen a great deal of online articles, but I'm still confused as
to exactly what's required to make this happen.

i know that the main.cf, as well as the transports/sasl-passwd files
have to be modified. I'm confused as to whether certs are actually
required, or if TSL is/is not required....

So, I'm trying to figure out exactly what config files have to be
modified, as well as what has to be inserted in the config files.

If I could see the confi files from someone who's actually gone
through this process, I could more quickly get my head around what
I've screwed up!

Thanks

From: "J. Roeleveld" on
On Thursday 04 March 2010 20:44:28 bruce wrote:
> hey
>
> new to configuring postfix, got a few questions about how to configure
> postfix.
>
> I'm running Centos/Fedora, with Postfix, from the basic yum install.
> The Sendmail process has been stopped.
>
> I can easily send a basic test mail from the cmdline. Ie:
>
> mail foo(a)gmail.com
> subject: blah
> test
> .
>
> works with no issue. However, the email on the gmail end, is in the
> Spam folder, which is to be expected.
>
> As I understand the different articles I've seen, Postfix can be
> configured to allow me to authenticate emails, to in effect,
> relay/send them using the authenticaion of a valid email user/passwd
> from a valid gmail account. (or from my own isp user/passwd).
>
> I've seen a great deal of online articles, but I'm still confused as
> to exactly what's required to make this happen.
>
> i know that the main.cf, as well as the transports/sasl-passwd files
> have to be modified. I'm confused as to whether certs are actually
> required, or if TSL is/is not required....
>
> So, I'm trying to figure out exactly what config files have to be
> modified, as well as what has to be inserted in the config files.
>
> If I could see the confi files from someone who's actually gone
> through this process, I could more quickly get my head around what
> I've screwed up!

I think the best way would be to direct your email through your ISP's SMTP-
server.
Mine doesn't actually require me to authenticate, which helps greatly.

For this, you need to set the following in your "main.cf" file:
--
relayhost = [<smtp.myisp.com>]
--

You will need to configure the correct SMTP-server in this.

If your ISP requires you to authenticate, you run the risk that the SMTP-
server will change the "From" address to whatever they want it to be.

For me, this would be a problem as I have multiple email addresses hosted on
my mail server.

As for using the gmail smtp-server, that does require SSL/TLS support for
sending the messages through that server, but for just sending to a gmail
account, that is not necessary.

--
Joost