From: Hans Frank on
Hi there,

i use ispconfig3 on a server configured as described in
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-5.4-x86_64-ispconfig-3.
Everything works fine, but the Server was not able to receive emails.

First, the following error appeared, when sending an email to an mail
account created by ispconfig3:

##mail.einmalistkeinmal.de. (10): Connection refused

This has been caused by postfix only listening to localhost and was
solved by adding the correct ethernet interface to
/etc/postfix/main.cf (inet_interfaces). Also checked dns-settings
(mx-records), everything correct.

After that, the following error appeared when sending an email to the server:

##Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the
recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email
##
##provider for further information about the cause of this error. The
error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1
##
##<denise(a)einmalistkeinmal.de>: Relay access denied (state 14).[/QUOTE]

So I added the domain einmalistkeinmal.de to mydestination in main.cf.

Now, the following error appears:
## Dec 11 09:31:45 server postfix/smtpd[18485]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
from mail-bw0-f220.google.com[209.85.218.220]: 550 5.1.1
<denise(a)einmalistkeinmal.de>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown
in local recipient table;

I googled around and searched some forums, but did not find a working solution.

So I think what the error message is saying is that postfix does not
know the mail account?! I am quite new to postfix and don't know which
files to check. Can somebody help me?

Here is my main.cf from postfix:

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
inet_interfaces = all
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, einmalistkeinmal.de
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

debug_peer_level = 2
debugger_command =
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = no
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
relayhost =
mailbox_size_limit = 0
message_size_limit = 0

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:06:40AM +0100, Hans Frank wrote:
> i use ispconfig3 on a server configured as described in
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-5.4-x86_64-ispconfig-3.
> Everything works fine, but the Server was not able to receive emails.

Generally these howtos are for database-managed virtual mailbox
setups. And I would strongly caution you against overreliance on a
howto. I looked at the first page of yours, and it begins by telling
you how to install the OS! Personally, I would not consider that a
good howto.

> This has been caused by postfix only listening to localhost and
> was solved by adding the correct ethernet interface to
> /etc/postfix/main.cf (inet_interfaces). Also checked dns-settings
> (mx-records), everything correct.

To get the default behavior and bind all interfaces, simply remove
any (and all) inet_interfaces line[s] from main.cf.

> ##<denise(a)einmalistkeinmal.de>: Relay access denied (state 14).[/QUOTE]
>
> So I added the domain einmalistkeinmal.de to mydestination in main.cf.

My guess would be that you diverged from the howto at some point, or
possibly, that the howto itself is wrong. You do not use
mydestination for virtual mailbox domains.

> Now, the following error appears:
> ## Dec 11 09:31:45 server postfix/smtpd[18485]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
> from mail-bw0-f220.google.com[209.85.218.220]: 550 5.1.1
> <denise(a)einmalistkeinmal.de>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown
> in local recipient table;

Here, your Postfix is looking for a Unix alias or user, "denise", and
has not found it.

> Here is my main.cf from postfix:

Pretty basic, looks like the CentOS package. There are no
virtual_mailbox_* settings to be seen. I am going to suggest that you
go to a forum for your chosen package (ISPconfig) if you know that's
what you want to use. I have not been impressed with the ones I have
seen.

Howtos can be useful to give you the overview of the many disparate
parts that make up a mail server, especially if it was written by an
author with a good understanding of the subject. Furthermore I think
a good howto would specialize. "I'm going to tell you how to set up
packages X, Y and Z on $operating_system, to give you a mail server
with $feature_list. If you need help setting up $operating_system,
see http://$operating_system_documentation_URL ."

(You really should have a solid understanding of your OS before you
dive into email server management.)

All that said, and this being the Postfix mailing list, I will point
you to Postfix documentation which might be of interest.

I know it sounds cool to have virtual mailboxes, but is that really
what you need? You are not going to start out today and be the next
Gmail tomorrow. You can get a simple, functional mail server by
adding system users to your OS. The way yours is already set up
should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to review this:
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

It is easy to mix and match address classes on a working Postfix
system. If you start out with the basic local(8) delivery, different
domains can later be added for virtual(8) delivery. Also, you might
want to stick with local, but have namespace separation for other
domains, using virtual ALIAS domains/maps. Both features, virtual(8)
mailboxes and virtual(5) aliases, are documented here:
http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

If problems arise, find the list's expectation for posting here:
The rest of that document is worth a look too, as it might point you
in the right direction to find your own solution.

Note, all of these documents, specific to your [older] version of
Postfix, can be had in your own "/usr/sbin/postconf html_directory".
You should refer to the local copies to avoid confusion with the many
new features that have been added in Postfix 2.4 through 2.6, and are
being developed now for Postfix 2.7.