From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 09:39:05AM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:28 PM -0400 Victor Duchovni
> <Victor.Duchovni(a)morganstanley.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.postfix.org/ldap_table.5.html
>>
>> BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
>> For backwards compatibility with Postfix version 2.0 and
>
> So you leave your online documentation using the syntax of a release that
> is 6 years old? That seems fairly odd. Why not use versioned
> documentation?

Nothing of the sort, the documentation shows *current* syntax and briefly
documents any legacy syntax. Your tone is in the above is unnecessarily
hostile. Please don't go there...

--
Viktor.

From: Quanah Gibson-Mount on
--On Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:56 PM -0400 Victor Duchovni
<Victor.Duchovni(a)morganstanley.com> wrote:

> Nothing of the sort, the documentation shows *current* syntax and briefly
> documents any legacy syntax. Your tone is in the above is unnecessarily
> hostile. Please don't go there...

Nothing in my response was intended as hostile, I apologize if it came
across this way.

However, the documentation in question specifically references Postfix 2.4,
and then uses an example using the old syntax. From
<http://www.postfix.org/LDAP_README.html#example_group>:

Our final use case is the same as the third, but this time uses new
features in Postfix 2.4. We now are able to use just one LDAP table and no
longer need to assume that forwarded groups are never nested inside
expanded groups.

fancy.cf:
search_base = dc=example, dc=com
query_filter = mail=%s
result_attribute = memberaddr
special_result_attribute = memberdn
terminal_result_attribute = maildrop
leaf_result_attribute = mail
$ postmap -q auser(a)example.com ldap:fancy.cf
auser(a)mailhub.example.com
$ postmap -q cuser(a)example.com ldap:fancy.cf
cuser(a)example.com
$ postmap -q agroup(a)example.com ldap:fancy.cf

auser(a)mailhub.example.com,buser(a)mailhub.example.com,auser(a)example.org,buser(a)example.org
$ postmap -q bgroup(a)example.com ldap:fancy.cf
bgroup(a)mlm.example.com

Note the above deprecated postmap -q syntax.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:06:58AM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> fancy.cf:
> search_base = dc=example, dc=com
> query_filter = mail=%s
> result_attribute = memberaddr
> special_result_attribute = memberdn
> terminal_result_attribute = maildrop
> leaf_result_attribute = mail
> $ postmap -q auser(a)example.com ldap:fancy.cf
> auser(a)mailhub.example.com

This is a minor documentation bug, the examples here are documenting the
fancy parameters, and were not carefully reviewed to ensure accuracy of
the postmap command-line interface. This never worked...

> Note the above deprecated postmap -q syntax.

It is not deprecated, this never worked.

--
Viktor.