From: "Len Conrad" on
mail_version = 2.7-20091008
fbsd 7.2

we're seeing one of these each time we stop postfix

Dec 8 00:09:06 mx6 postfix/postscreen[49918]: fatal: close database /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory

but

mx6# ll /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db
-rw------- 1 postfix wheel - 93761536 Dec 8 14:31 /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db

No functional impact afaics.

Len

From: Wietse Venema on
Len Conrad:
> mail_version = 2.7-20091008
> fbsd 7.2
>
> we're seeing one of these each time we stop postfix
>
> Dec 8 00:09:06 mx6 postfix/postscreen[49918]: fatal: close database
> /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory

The Berkeley DB close() function returns an ENOENT error code.

> but
>
> mx6# ll /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db
> -rw------- 1 postfix wheel - 93761536 Dec 8 14:31 /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db

Berkeley DB returns ENOENT for some other reason. Perhaps you have
a corrupted database. Are you using a hash or btree file? I use
btree for tables that change frequently.

Wietse

From: Len Conrad on

>Len Conrad:
>> mail_version = 2.7-20091008
>> fbsd 7.2
>>
>> we're seeing one of these each time we stop postfix
>>
>> Dec 8 00:09:06 mx6 postfix/postscreen[49918]: fatal: close database
>> /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory
>
>The Berkeley DB close() function returns an ENOENT error code.
>
>> but
>>
>> mx6# ll /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db
>> -rw------- 1 postfix wheel - 93761536 Dec 8 14:31 /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db
>
>Berkeley DB returns ENOENT for some other reason. Perhaps you have
>a corrupted database. Are you using a hash or btree file? I use
>btree for tables that change frequently.
>
> Wietse

we're running postscreen on 5 high-volume relay-only MXs.

postscreen_cache_map = btree:$data_directory/ps_cache

every MX has the error every time our script stops postfix to update some .map files.

Len

From: Wietse Venema on
Len Conrad:

> >Len Conrad:
> >> mail_version = 2.7-20091008
> >> fbsd 7.2
> >>
> >> we're seeing one of these each time we stop postfix
> >>
> >> Dec 8 00:09:06 mx6 postfix/postscreen[49918]: fatal: close database
> >> /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory
> >
> >The Berkeley DB close() function returns an ENOENT error code.
> >
> >> but
> >>
> >> mx6# ll /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db
> >> -rw------- 1 postfix wheel - 93761536 Dec 8 14:31 /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db
> >
> >Berkeley DB returns ENOENT for some other reason. Perhaps you have
> >a corrupted database. Are you using a hash or btree file? I use
> >btree for tables that change frequently.
> >
> > Wietse
>
> we're running postscreen on 5 high-volume relay-only MXs.
>
> postscreen_cache_map = btree:$data_directory/ps_cache
>
> every MX has the error every time our script stops postfix to
> update some .map files.

This is the same btree interface that has been forever in Postfix.
It was last changed Jan 2007 to fix some case folding support. The
previous change was Jun 2005.

The only thing postscreen does after "postfix reload" (or stop) is
to fork a child process and terminate immediately in the parent
process; the child continues in the background, closes the Berkeley
DB table, erases the Berkeley DB handle, accepts no new connections,
and completes the client tests that are already in progress, without
saving the result.

Perhaps you can see if "postfix reload" reproduces the error message.

Wietse

From: Len Conrad on

>> >Len Conrad:

>> >The Berkeley DB close() function returns an ENOENT error code.

>> >Berkeley DB returns ENOENT for some other reason. Perhaps you have
>> >a corrupted database. Are you using a hash or btree file? I use
>> >btree for tables that change frequently.
>> >
>> > Wietse
>>
>> we're running postscreen on 5 high-volume relay-only MXs.
>>
>> postscreen_cache_map = btree:$data_directory/ps_cache
>>
>> every MX has the error every time our script stops postfix to
>> update some .map files.
>
>This is the same btree interface that has been forever in Postfix.
>It was last changed Jan 2007 to fix some case folding support. The
>previous change was Jun 2005.
>
>The only thing postscreen does after "postfix reload" (or stop) is
>to fork a child process and terminate immediately in the parent
>process; the child continues in the background, closes the Berkeley
>DB table, erases the Berkeley DB handle, accepts no new connections,
>and completes the client tests that are already in progress, without
>saving the result.
>
>Perhaps you can see if "postfix reload" reproduces the error message.

mx6# date
Tue Dec 8 21:08:14 EST 2009

mx6# postfix reload
postfix/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system

Dec 8 21:08:18 mx6 postfix/postscreen[12148]: fatal: close database /var/db/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory

Len