From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"JohnE" <JohnE(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Any thoughts on how to proceed with the "training wheels?"

No, sorry... :-(

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Mar 29, 1:35 am, JohnE <Jo...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello.  I am having a heckuva time with the printing of a gridview's
> contents, all not just one page.  And the more I google, the more confused I
> get.  What is needed is to take the current gridview with paging, sorting,
> etc.   There is one column to omit which is the allow edits.  Since there is
> paging, I need to have that removed as well so the page numbers at the bottom
> of the grid do not show.  Column headers can stay but without the sorting
> lines.  No hyperlinks at all.  Background coloring, row coloring, and the
> like, can be optional.  For some reason I am not getting any way I try it to
> work, whether it be with a printer friendly or straight to the printer.
>
> Does anyone know of a sure fire method, sample, example, website that can
> help out with this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/assistance on this.
> ... John

Don't make it complicated. From what I get is that you want the same
grid, but without paging. Just make a copy of your webform, disable
paging and sorting and get rid of editable columns. That's all. Just
link to the new form by adding a [Print] link and you're done.
From: JohnE on

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "JohnE" <JohnE(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Any thoughts on how to proceed with the "training wheels?"
>
> No, sorry... :-(
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

That's alright. At least you responded. As I mentioned in another reply,
might look at this thru a report mechanism. Then I can add formatting, etc
that the users will eventually ask for. Much simpler solution.
Thanks.
From: JohnE on

"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:

> On Mar 29, 1:35 am, JohnE <Jo...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hello. I am having a heckuva time with the printing of a gridview's
> > contents, all not just one page. And the more I google, the more confused I
> > get. What is needed is to take the current gridview with paging, sorting,
> > etc. There is one column to omit which is the allow edits. Since there is
> > paging, I need to have that removed as well so the page numbers at the bottom
> > of the grid do not show. Column headers can stay but without the sorting
> > lines. No hyperlinks at all. Background coloring, row coloring, and the
> > like, can be optional. For some reason I am not getting any way I try it to
> > work, whether it be with a printer friendly or straight to the printer.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a sure fire method, sample, example, website that can
> > help out with this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help/assistance on this.
> > ... John
>
> Don't make it complicated. From what I get is that you want the same
> grid, but without paging. Just make a copy of your webform, disable
> paging and sorting and get rid of editable columns. That's all. Just
> link to the new form by adding a [Print] link and you're done.
> .

Alexey, thanks for the "simple" way. And it was simple. I showed to
several of the users and they both said it is what they wanted. Although, I
am having difficulty in getting the PRINT button to work correctly. Below is
the line that I have in the btnPrint_Click (asp button) event. It opens up
the form with exactly what is needed. But I am not able to get the print
dialog to open. I've tried several ways but to no avail.

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "onclick",
"<script
language=javascript>window.open('ProteusListPrint.aspx','','height=500px,width=800px,scrollbars=1');</script>");

What is missing to open the print dialog box? Also, in the print out in the
bottom left corner is the http address. Is there any 'simple' way to
hide/remove it?

Thanks...John
From: JohnE on
No response needed. I figured it out.