From: lrhorer on

Hello,

I originally posted a query about this over on alt.linux, and
someone
there suggested I post a query here. I am using wvdial to
provide "dial up" broadband access to the Cricket
wireless network using a Cal-Comp A600 GSM wireless modem on a headless
router.. It's working fairly well, but there is one serious issue I
need to resolve. After 12 hours online, the ISP shuts down the link.
When this happens, the modem sometimes locks up, at least as far as
wvdial is concerned. An attempt to dial again fails. Occasionally,
the modem truly hangs, so that even a soft reboot won't recover the
session. Since wvdial produces no logs, no externally readable status
structure, and no exit codes, it's difficult to tell what action the
router needs to take when the ppp link is down.

Does anyone know of a slightly more sophisticated or
better supported alternative to wvdial? I am looking at linuxconf, but
there doesn't seem to be a Debian package for it, and the RPM package
won't load under alien. The source code fails with a fair number of
errors. I would really rather not start digging into problems with the
RPM package or in the source code if I don't have to. The fact the
newest version of linuxconf is from 2005 also suggests it may not be
actively maintained, either
From: unruh on
On 2010-01-10, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I originally posted a query about this over on alt.linux, and
> someone
> there suggested I post a query here. I am using wvdial to
> provide "dial up" broadband access to the Cricket
> wireless network using a Cal-Comp A600 GSM wireless modem on a headless
> router.. It's working fairly well, but there is one serious issue I
> need to resolve. After 12 hours online, the ISP shuts down the link.
> When this happens, the modem sometimes locks up, at least as far as
> wvdial is concerned. An attempt to dial again fails. Occasionally,
> the modem truly hangs, so that even a soft reboot won't recover the
> session. Since wvdial produces no logs, no externally readable status
> structure, and no exit codes, it's difficult to tell what action the
> router needs to take when the ppp link is down.
>
> Does anyone know of a slightly more sophisticated or
> better supported alternative to wvdial? I am looking at linuxconf, but
> there doesn't seem to be a Debian package for it, and the RPM package
> won't load under alien. The source code fails with a fair number of
> errors. I would really rather not start digging into problems with the
> RPM package or in the source code if I don't have to. The fact the
> newest version of linuxconf is from 2005 also suggests it may not be
> actively maintained, either

Try looking at www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for techniques
for debugging your ppp connection. wvdial is simply a font end for the
thing that does the actual work, namely pppd. pppd can and does produce
error messages to the daemon and local2 facilities. You need to tell
your system to record those and tell pppd to actually output the debug
messages.

One thing you could try is to kill
killall pppd
as root
before you try again.
Alternatively, have your system itself close the connection after 11hr
45 min, and then restart it. -- you must be paying pretty hefty wireless
bills to to be logged on for over 12hr a day.

From: lrhorer on
unruh wrote:

> On 2010-01-10, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I originally posted a query about this over on alt.linux, and
>> someone
>> there suggested I post a query here. I am using wvdial to
>> provide "dial up" broadband access to the Cricket
>> wireless network using a Cal-Comp A600 GSM wireless modem on a
>> headless
>> router.. It's working fairly well, but there is one serious issue I
>> need to resolve. After 12 hours online, the ISP shuts down the link.
>> When this happens, the modem sometimes locks up, at least as far as
>> wvdial is concerned. An attempt to dial again fails. Occasionally,
>> the modem truly hangs, so that even a soft reboot won't recover the
>> session. Since wvdial produces no logs, no externally readable
>> status structure, and no exit codes, it's difficult to tell what
>> action the router needs to take when the ppp link is down.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a slightly more sophisticated or
>> better supported alternative to wvdial? I am looking at linuxconf,
>> but there doesn't seem to be a Debian package for it, and the RPM
>> package
>> won't load under alien. The source code fails with a fair number of
>> errors. I would really rather not start digging into problems with
>> the
>> RPM package or in the source code if I don't have to. The fact the
>> newest version of linuxconf is from 2005 also suggests it may not be
>> actively maintained, either
>
> Try looking at www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for techniques
> for debugging your ppp connection.

The problem isn't at the ppn layer. The problem lies at the hardware
layer, epcifically the modem locking up.

> wvdial is simply a font end for the
> thing that does the actual work, namely pppd. pppd can and does
> produce error messages to the daemon and local2 facilities.

Yes, but there are no errors at that level, at least not until the modem
locks up.

> You need
> to tell your system to record those and tell pppd to actually output
> the debug messages.
>
> One thing you could try is to kill
> killall pppd
> as root
> before you try again.

No, I'm not using pppd, and ppp is dead whenever the connection is
closed.

> Alternatively, have your system itself close the connection after 11hr
> 45 min, and then restart it.

That's what I am doing, or trying to do, although I use 11hr 17 min, in
fact.

> -- you must be paying pretty hefty
> wireless bills to to be logged on for over 12hr a day.

No, Cricket is broadband wireless. Or it is SUPPOSED to be. If it were
truly broadband, they would not shut down the link after 12 hours.
Nonetheless, there are no fees for connection time. Broadband routers
are always logged on 24/7.

From: lrhorer on
lrhorer wrote:

> unruh wrote:
>
>> On 2010-01-10, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I originally posted a query about this over on alt.linux,
>>> and
>>> someone
>>> there suggested I post a query here. I am using wvdial to
>>> provide "dial up" broadband access to the Cricket
>>> wireless network using a Cal-Comp A600 GSM wireless modem on a
>>> headless
>>> router.. It's working fairly well, but there is one serious issue I
>>> need to resolve. After 12 hours online, the ISP shuts down the
>>> link. When this happens, the modem sometimes locks up, at least as
>>> far as
>>> wvdial is concerned. An attempt to dial again fails. Occasionally,
>>> the modem truly hangs, so that even a soft reboot won't recover the
>>> session. Since wvdial produces no logs, no externally readable
>>> status structure, and no exit codes, it's difficult to tell what
>>> action the router needs to take when the ppp link is down.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a slightly more sophisticated or
>>> better supported alternative to wvdial? I am looking at linuxconf,
>>> but there doesn't seem to be a Debian package for it, and the RPM
>>> package
>>> won't load under alien. The source code fails with a fair number of
>>> errors. I would really rather not start digging into problems with
>>> the
>>> RPM package or in the source code if I don't have to. The fact the
>>> newest version of linuxconf is from 2005 also suggests it may not be
>>> actively maintained, either
>>
>> Try looking at www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for
>> techniques for debugging your ppp connection.
>
> The problem isn't at the ppn layer. The problem lies at the hardware
> layer, epcifically the modem locking up.

That should have been, "...specifically..."

>> One thing you could try is to kill
>> killall pppd
>> as root
>> before you try again.
>
> No, I'm not using pppd, and ppp is dead whenever the connection is
> closed.

That's not what I meant to say. What I meant to say is that it locks
up before pppd is ever called. It loks up while the dialer is trying
to establish layer 1 connectivity. I'll double-check, though.

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-11, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>
>> On 2010-01-10, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I originally posted a query about this over on alt.linux, and
>>> someone
>>> there suggested I post a query here. I am using wvdial to
>>> provide "dial up" broadband access to the Cricket
>>> wireless network using a Cal-Comp A600 GSM wireless modem on a
>>> headless
>>> router.. It's working fairly well, but there is one serious issue I
>>> need to resolve. After 12 hours online, the ISP shuts down the link.
>>> When this happens, the modem sometimes locks up, at least as far as
>>> wvdial is concerned. An attempt to dial again fails. Occasionally,
>>> the modem truly hangs, so that even a soft reboot won't recover the
>>> session. Since wvdial produces no logs, no externally readable
>>> status structure, and no exit codes, it's difficult to tell what
>>> action the router needs to take when the ppp link is down.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a slightly more sophisticated or
>>> better supported alternative to wvdial? I am looking at linuxconf,
>>> but there doesn't seem to be a Debian package for it, and the RPM
>>> package
>>> won't load under alien. The source code fails with a fair number of
>>> errors. I would really rather not start digging into problems with
>>> the
>>> RPM package or in the source code if I don't have to. The fact the
>>> newest version of linuxconf is from 2005 also suggests it may not be
>>> actively maintained, either
>>
>> Try looking at www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for techniques
>> for debugging your ppp connection.
>
> The problem isn't at the ppn layer. The problem lies at the hardware
> layer, epcifically the modem locking up.

And you know this how? And if you are so sure why are you asking here
since hardware fixes do not get handled by Linux user groups.

>> wvdial is simply a font end for the
>> thing that does the actual work, namely pppd. pppd can and does
>> produce error messages to the daemon and local2 facilities.
>
> Yes, but there are no errors at that level, at least not until the modem
> locks up.

Have you switched on logging for ppd? Have you set up the daemon and
local2 facilities to log to a file?
daemon.*;local2.* /var/log/daemonlog
in /etc/syslog.conf
and then do
killall -1 syslogd

Have you looked at that file?

>> You need
>> to tell your system to record those and tell pppd to actually output
>> the debug messages.
>>
>> One thing you could try is to kill
>> killall pppd
>> as root
>> before you try again.
>
> No, I'm not using pppd, and ppp is dead whenever the connection is
> closed.

??? pppd is THE daemon for using ppp, and wvdial uses pppd

ps auxww|grep pppd

>> Alternatively, have your system itself close the connection after 11hr
>> 45 min, and then restart it.
>
> That's what I am doing, or trying to do, although I use 11hr 17 min, in
> fact.
>
>> -- you must be paying pretty hefty
>> wireless bills to to be logged on for over 12hr a day.
>
> No, Cricket is broadband wireless. Or it is SUPPOSED to be. If it were

What do you mean by wireless? GSM? In which case I am really surprized
that they are not charging you through the teeth.