From: Baron on
Dave Krebes Inscribed thus:

> Is the term "process" used in more than one sense in the IT world?
>
> My understanding of "process" is that the CPU of a personal computer
> cycles
> through a set of tasks called "processes". There are typically 50-100
> of
> these. One process may monitor input from the keyboard, another to
> convert
> data to a certain protocol, another to update the clock, etc. The CPU
> performs a single calculation for a specific process and then moves on
> the next process. The instructions for this calculation are fed to
> the CPU
> from the RAM (or cache?) The speed of the CPU, in Hertz, is the
> number of
> such visits (calculations) the CPU performs in one second. So if
> there are 100 processes and the speed of the CPU is 1 GHz, then the
> CPU will perform a
> calculation for a given process 10M times per second. The CPU needs
> to "flush itself out" after each calculation (due to some sort of
> lingering electromagnetic field?) and this, not the speed of
> electricity, is the limiting factor in the speed of a CPU, and in turn
> the main factor in the speed of the computer.
>
> Is this right? And what is in the "proc" directory?

A process, is a recipe for doing something from beginning to end !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Baron on
Steve Ackman Inscribed thus:

> In <slrnhnputs.8gn.kasmra(a)ananas.Sauna>, on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:35:09
> GMT, SM, kasmra(a)ne-spamon.gmail.com wrote:
>> 2010-02-18, Steve Ackman skribis:
>
>>> Different on every system. To see what's in yours...
>>>
>>> $ cd /proc
>>> $ ls -l
>>>

>> Unnecessary use of cd ;)
>
> I think it's necessary to tailor the answer to the
> student. Given the nature of the question, I would
> suppose student might do
> $ ls -l /proc
> and, seeing subdirectories, he might then attempt
> $ ls -l sub or
> $ ls -l /sub both of which would naturally fail.
>
> If the first instruction is 'cd /proc', those two
> probable failure modes are eliminated... though
> admittedly, nothing is absolutely idiot proof. ;-)

Particularly if they don't understand a process in the first place !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-02-19, Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
> Dave Krebes Inscribed thus:
>
>> Is the term "process" used in more than one sense in the IT world?
>>
>> My understanding of "process" is that the CPU of a personal computer
>> cycles
>> through a set of tasks called "processes". There are typically 50-100
>> of
>> these. One process may monitor input from the keyboard, another to
>> convert
>> data to a certain protocol, another to update the clock, etc. The CPU
>> performs a single calculation for a specific process and then moves on
>> the next process. The instructions for this calculation are fed to
>> the CPU
>> from the RAM (or cache?) The speed of the CPU, in Hertz, is the
>> number of
>> such visits (calculations) the CPU performs in one second. So if
>> there are 100 processes and the speed of the CPU is 1 GHz, then the
>> CPU will perform a
>> calculation for a given process 10M times per second. The CPU needs
>> to "flush itself out" after each calculation (due to some sort of
>> lingering electromagnetic field?) and this, not the speed of
>> electricity, is the limiting factor in the speed of a CPU, and in turn
>> the main factor in the speed of the computer.
>>
>> Is this right? And what is in the "proc" directory?
>
> A process, is a recipe for doing something from beginning to end !

no that's an algorithm (or if suficciently detailed a program)

a process is the act of doing it.

From: Baron on
Jasen Betts Inscribed thus:

> On 2010-02-19, Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
>> Dave Krebes Inscribed thus:
>>
>>> Is the term "process" used in more than one sense in the IT world?
>>>
>>> My understanding of "process" is that the CPU of a personal computer
>>> cycles
>>> through a set of tasks called "processes". There are typically
>>> 50-100 of
>>> these. One process may monitor input from the keyboard, another to
>>> convert
>>> data to a certain protocol, another to update the clock, etc. The
>>> CPU performs a single calculation for a specific process and then
>>> moves on to
>>> the next process. The instructions for this calculation are fed to
>>> the CPU
>>> from the RAM (or cache?) The speed of the CPU, in Hertz, is the
>>> number of
>>> such visits (calculations) the CPU performs in one second. So if
>>> there are 100 processes and the speed of the CPU is 1 GHz, then the
>>> CPU will perform a
>>> calculation for a given process 10M times per second. The CPU needs
>>> to "flush itself out" after each calculation (due to some sort of
>>> lingering electromagnetic field?) and this, not the speed of
>>> electricity, is the limiting factor in the speed of a CPU, and in
>>> turn the main factor in the speed of the computer.
>>>
>>> Is this right? And what is in the "proc" directory?
>>
>> A process, is a recipe for doing something from beginning to end !
>
> no that's an algorithm (or if suficciently detailed a program)
>
> a process is the act of doing it.

Jason.
Yes, you're right. I should have realised when I posted.
Thanks for correcting my error.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Patrick Schueller on
On 18.02.2010 19:17, J G Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:45:35 +0000, Dave Krebes wrote:
>
>> And what is in the "proc" directory?
>
> Nothing until you actually go and look in it.

"Schrödinger's directory"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat

scnr, Patrick
--
OS: Ubuntu 9.10 · Kernel: 2.6.31-20-generic · KDE: 4.4.00 (KDE 4.4.0)
CPU: AMD Turion(tm) Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82 · 2312552kB/3800016kB