From: Eric W. Biederman on
Louis Rilling <Louis.Rilling(a)kerlabs.com> writes:

> On 21/06/10 5:58 -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> Louis Rilling <Louis.Rilling(a)kerlabs.com> writes:

>> > Is this really a bad thing? If somebody ptraces a task in a pid namespace, that
>> > sounds reasonable to have this namespace (and it's init task) pinned.
>>
>> Louis. Have you seen this problem hit without my setns patch?
>
> Yes. I hit it with Kerrighed patches. I also have an ugly reproducer on
> 2.6.35-rc3 (see attachments). Ugly because I introduced artifical delays
> in release_task(). I couldn't trigger the bug without it, probably because the
> scheduler is too kind :)
>
> I'm using memory poisoining (SLAB and DEBUG_SLAB) to make it easy to observe the
> bug.
>
> Example:
> # ./proc_flush_task-bug-reproducer 1
>

>> I'm pretty certain that this hits because there are processes do_wait
>> does not wait for, in particular processes in a disjoint process tree.
>
> Indeed do_wait() misses EXIT_DEAD children.
>

>> So at this point I am really favoring killing the do_wait and making
>> this all asynchronous.
>
> Any idea about how to do it?

Some variant of the patches Oleg just recently posted. I'm still not
comfortable with the extending the kernel mount to the entire lifetime
of the pid_namespace. But it certainly is better than a lot of the
alternatives.

Eric
From: Oleg Nesterov on
On 06/21, Louis Rilling wrote:

> On 18/06/10 19:55 +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
>
> > Yes, this should be fixed, I already realized this. work->func(ns) is
> > called when ns is already fixed.
> >
> > Otherwise, nobody should use ns->proc_mount when ns is already dead/freed.
>
> I meant the opposite. proc_mnt can be kept mounted somewhere,

I think, no. If it is kept mounted vfsmount should be different.

> and accesses to it
> will likely try to access (freed) pid_ns from it.

Not sure, there must be no tasks (and pids) in this ns.

By anyway I agree. This needs more thinking and we should do something
with sb->s_fs_info.

But given that nobody (including me) seem to like this approach - let's
forget this patch.

Thanks,

Oleg.