From: Christoph Hellwig on
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 05:28:16PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> So you mean we should attribute explicit default_llseek to the evil
> places instead of explicit generic_file_llseek in the safe ones?
> That's not a bad idea as it would result in much less changes.
>
> The problem happens the day you switch to generic_file_llseek() as the
> new default llseek(), how do you prove that all remaining fops
> that don't implement .llseek don't use the bkl? There will be
> hundreds of them and saying "we've looked all of them and they don't
> need it" will be a scary justification.
>
> On the opposite, attributing explicit generic_file_llseek or
> non_seekable_open on the safe places and default_llseek on
> the dozens of others doubtful places is easier to get a
> safe conclusion.
>
> But yeah we should try, at least attributing explicit
> default_llseek won't harm, quite the opposite.

Note that an lssek that actually does something is the wrong default,
even if we have it that way currently. If the default is changed it
should be changed to give the semantics that nonseekable_open()
gives us. Given that you guys are so motivated to do something in
this area it might be a good idea to do this in a few simple steps:

- make sure every file operation either has a ->llseek instead or
calls nonseekable_open from ->open
- remove nonseekable_open and all calls to it
- switch all users of no_llseek to not set a ->llsek after auditing
that there's no corner case where we want to allow pread/pwrite
but not lseek, which is rather unlikely
- walk through the instances now using default_llseek and chose
a better implementation for this particular instance. Often
this will be just removing the the lssek method as not allowing
seeks is the right thing to do for character drivers, even if it
is a behaviour change from the current version which usually
is the result of sloppy coding.

From: Arnd Bergmann on
On Saturday 10 April 2010, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> Do you mind if I rename this to deprecated_ioctl()?
> This "default" naming suggests a fallback everyone that don't
> need tricky things should use.

Sounds good. The idea was to keep the naming consistent with
default_llseek, but after the discussion on llseek, we will
probably do something else with it anyway.

Arnd
From: Arnd Bergmann on
On Sunday 11 April 2010, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 05:28:16PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> > So you mean we should attribute explicit default_llseek to the evil
> > places instead of explicit generic_file_llseek in the safe ones?
> > That's not a bad idea as it would result in much less changes.
> >
> > The problem happens the day you switch to generic_file_llseek() as the
> > new default llseek(), how do you prove that all remaining fops
> > that don't implement .llseek don't use the bkl? There will be
> > hundreds of them and saying "we've looked all of them and they don't
> > need it" will be a scary justification.
> >
> > On the opposite, attributing explicit generic_file_llseek or
> > non_seekable_open on the safe places and default_llseek on
> > the dozens of others doubtful places is easier to get a
> > safe conclusion.
> >
> > But yeah we should try, at least attributing explicit
> > default_llseek won't harm, quite the opposite.
>
> Note that an lssek that actually does something is the wrong default,
> even if we have it that way currently. If the default is changed it
> should be changed to give the semantics that nonseekable_open()
> gives us. Given that you guys are so motivated to do something in
> this area it might be a good idea to do this in a few simple steps:
>
> - make sure every file operation either has a ->llseek instead or
> calls nonseekable_open from ->open

I still think it would be better to always set llseek if we do that,
even if nonseekable_open is already there. I can come up with scripts
that check that case, but checking that the open function always
calls nonseekable_open when it returns success is beyond my grep
skills ;-)

> - remove nonseekable_open and all calls to it
> - switch all users of no_llseek to not set a ->llsek after auditing
> that there's no corner case where we want to allow pread/pwrite
> but not lseek, which is rather unlikely

This parts seems fine.

> - walk through the instances now using default_llseek and chose
> a better implementation for this particular instance. Often
> this will be just removing the the lssek method as not allowing
> seeks is the right thing to do for character drivers, even if it
> is a behaviour change from the current version which usually
> is the result of sloppy coding.

This part is really hard. While in many cases, the driver maintainer
might know what user space is potentially opening some character
device, it's really hard to tell for outsiders whether the behaviour
should be no_llseek (then the default) or noop_llseek to work around
broken user space.

I think the rule set for the conversion needs to be one that can
be done purely based on the code. How about this:

For each file operation {
if (uses f_pos) {
if (same module uses BKL)
-> default_llseek
else
-> generic_file_llseek
} else {
if (driver maintained)
-> no_llseek (with maintainer ACK)
else
-> noop_llseek
}
}

Once that is done, we can turn the default into nonseekable
behavior and start removing instances of explicit no_llseek
and nonseekable_open.

Should we also rename default_llseek to deprecated_llseek in the
process, to go along with the approach for ioctl?

Arnd
From: Frederic Weisbecker on
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 07:34:17PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sunday 11 April 2010, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 05:28:16PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> > > So you mean we should attribute explicit default_llseek to the evil
> > > places instead of explicit generic_file_llseek in the safe ones?
> > > That's not a bad idea as it would result in much less changes.
> > >
> > > The problem happens the day you switch to generic_file_llseek() as the
> > > new default llseek(), how do you prove that all remaining fops
> > > that don't implement .llseek don't use the bkl? There will be
> > > hundreds of them and saying "we've looked all of them and they don't
> > > need it" will be a scary justification.
> > >
> > > On the opposite, attributing explicit generic_file_llseek or
> > > non_seekable_open on the safe places and default_llseek on
> > > the dozens of others doubtful places is easier to get a
> > > safe conclusion.
> > >
> > > But yeah we should try, at least attributing explicit
> > > default_llseek won't harm, quite the opposite.
> >
> > Note that an lssek that actually does something is the wrong default,
> > even if we have it that way currently. If the default is changed it
> > should be changed to give the semantics that nonseekable_open()
> > gives us. Given that you guys are so motivated to do something in
> > this area it might be a good idea to do this in a few simple steps:
> >
> > - make sure every file operation either has a ->llseek instead or
> > calls nonseekable_open from ->open
>
> I still think it would be better to always set llseek if we do that,
> even if nonseekable_open is already there. I can come up with scripts
> that check that case, but checking that the open function always
> calls nonseekable_open when it returns success is beyond my grep
> skills ;-)
>
> > - remove nonseekable_open and all calls to it
> > - switch all users of no_llseek to not set a ->llsek after auditing
> > that there's no corner case where we want to allow pread/pwrite
> > but not lseek, which is rather unlikely
>
> This parts seems fine.
>
> > - walk through the instances now using default_llseek and chose
> > a better implementation for this particular instance. Often
> > this will be just removing the the lssek method as not allowing
> > seeks is the right thing to do for character drivers, even if it
> > is a behaviour change from the current version which usually
> > is the result of sloppy coding.
>
> This part is really hard. While in many cases, the driver maintainer
> might know what user space is potentially opening some character
> device, it's really hard to tell for outsiders whether the behaviour
> should be no_llseek (then the default) or noop_llseek to work around
> broken user space.

Also even if llseek is useless for a module, turning it into
unseekable somehow changes the userspace ABI. I guess this
is harmless 99% of the time, but still. And maintainers tend
not to like that.

> I think the rule set for the conversion needs to be one that can
> be done purely based on the code. How about this:
>
> For each file operation {
> if (uses f_pos) {
> if (same module uses BKL)
> -> default_llseek
> else
> -> generic_file_llseek
> } else {
> if (driver maintained)
> -> no_llseek (with maintainer ACK)
> else
> -> noop_llseek
> }
> }

It is also hard to determine a given driver really doesn't use
the bkl. A sole lock_kernel() grep in its files is not sufficient.
But a manual second pass should do the trick.

> Once that is done, we can turn the default into nonseekable
> behavior and start removing instances of explicit no_llseek
> and nonseekable_open.

Sounds good.

> Should we also rename default_llseek to deprecated_llseek in the
> process, to go along with the approach for ioctl?

Yeah, preferably.

Thanks.

From: Arnd Bergmann on
On Monday 12 April 2010, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 07:34:17PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > I think the rule set for the conversion needs to be one that can
> > be done purely based on the code. How about this:
> >
> > For each file operation {
> > if (uses f_pos) {
> > if (same module uses BKL)
> > -> default_llseek
> > else
> > -> generic_file_llseek
> > } else {
> > if (driver maintained)
> > -> no_llseek (with maintainer ACK)
> > else
> > -> noop_llseek
> > }
> > }
>
> It is also hard to determine a given driver really doesn't use
> the bkl. A sole lock_kernel() grep in its files is not sufficient.
> But a manual second pass should do the trick.

Why not? In my 2.6.33 based series, I have removed all implicit
uses of the BKL, so we can be sure that it doesn't use the BKL
unless the module is part of that series. The only two cases
I can think of are:

- ioctl callback, which we should do in the same change, like I
originally did. If a driver defines ->ioctl(), make it use
deprecated_ioctl() and default_llseek()/deprecated_llseek.

- Any of the file systems from Jan's series.

Arnd