From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* Stefan Foerster <cite+postfix-users(a)incertum.net>:

> While I agree that it is totally obvious that table are re-read as
> soon as a new proxymap(8) process is spawned, on a resonably busy
> system, this won't happen too often. So getting a definitive answer on
> that one would still be helpful.

Has this been answered? It also affects me, so I'd like to know :)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

From: Wietse Venema on
Ralf Hildebrandt:
> * Stefan Foerster <cite+postfix-users(a)incertum.net>:
>
> > While I agree that it is totally obvious that table are re-read as
> > soon as a new proxymap(8) process is spawned, on a resonably busy
> > system, this won't happen too often. So getting a definitive answer on
> > that one would still be helpful.
>
> Has this been answered? It also affects me, so I'd like to know :)

There is no definitive answer. The strategy of how to detect changes
is evolving over time, and some tables (pcre, regexp, cidr) do not
implement change detection at this time.

If you really must force a change, use "postfix reload".

Wietse

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:52:35AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Ralf Hildebrandt:
> > * Stefan Foerster <cite+postfix-users(a)incertum.net>:
> >
> > > While I agree that it is totally obvious that table are re-read as
> > > soon as a new proxymap(8) process is spawned, on a resonably busy
> > > system, this won't happen too often. So getting a definitive answer on
> > > that one would still be helpful.
> >
> > Has this been answered? It also affects me, so I'd like to know :)
>
> There is no definitive answer. The strategy of how to detect changes
> is evolving over time, and some tables (pcre, regexp, cidr) do not
> implement change detection at this time.
>
> If you really must force a change, use "postfix reload".

Also, only use proxymap for IPC based tables (ldap, mysql, pgsql, tcp, ...),
do not use proxymap for indexed files, cidr tables, pcre/regexp tables, ....

--
Viktor.

From: Wietse Venema on
Victor Duchovni:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:52:35AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > Ralf Hildebrandt:

> > > Has this been answered? It also affects me, so I'd like to know :)
> >
> > There is no definitive answer. The strategy of how to detect changes
> > is evolving over time, and some tables (pcre, regexp, cidr) do not
> > implement change detection at this time.
> >
> > If you really must force a change, use "postfix reload".
>
> Also, only use proxymap for IPC based tables (ldap, mysql, pgsql, tcp, ...),
> do not use proxymap for indexed files, cidr tables, pcre/regexp tables, ....

It depends on what the trade-offs are. I know of one user with
very large cidr tables - sacrificing performance to avoid running
out of physical memory.

Wietse

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 02:31:36PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> > Also, only use proxymap for IPC based tables (ldap, mysql, pgsql, tcp, ...),
> > do not use proxymap for indexed files, cidr tables, pcre/regexp tables, ....
>
> It depends on what the trade-offs are. I know of one user with
> very large cidr tables - sacrificing performance to avoid running
> out of physical memory.

One might suggest that CIDR is not a good fit for this even if stored
just once, an IPC based server that walks trees rather than lists
would be far more suitable...

--
Viktor.