From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:18:24 -0700 (PDT), "miso(a)sushi.com"
<miso(a)sushi.com> wrote:

>On Aug 9, 2:18�pm, "jch4416" <otter30(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.bellsouth.net>
>wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is anyone familiar with any techniques for reducing overshoot in the pulse
>> response of a unity gain op amp follower configuration?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>>
>> --------------------------------------- � � � �
>> Posted throughhttp://www.Electronics-Related.com
>
>If the overshoot is due to capacitive loading, you can insert a
>resistor in series with the output, but in the feedback loop. This is
>in the National apps.
>
>If the amp itself has overshoot, I don't see any really good solution
>unless it is externally compensated. I suppose you could divide the
>signal by two and then set up the op amp for a gain of two. That would
>increase the phase margin.

Some opamps have diodes between the two inputs. Fun stuff can happen
if you drive a follower faster than its native slew rate.

John

From: markp on

"jch4416" <otter30(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is anyone familiar with any techniques for reducing overshoot in the pulse
> response of a unity gain op amp follower configuration?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Here's some useful info. You might get away with just a snubber network on
the output:
http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/38-06/capacitive_loading.pdf

Mark.

From: miso on
On Aug 10, 6:00 am, "markp" <map.nos...(a)f2s.com> wrote:
> "jch4416" <otter30(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > Is anyone familiar with any techniques for reducing overshoot in the pulse
> > response of a unity gain op amp follower configuration?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Jim
>
> Here's some useful info. You might get away with just a snubber network on
> the output:http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/38-06/capacitiv...
>
> Mark.

Good article. I'd use figure 3. I think snubbing is trickier than the
paper indicates. GBW has a tempco. Output stage "native" impedance is
a function of load current. I just don't see snubbing being very
reliable, though I have no first hand experience at this. Figure 3 is
used in lots of DUT boards.
From: George Herold on
On Aug 11, 2:07 am, "m...(a)sushi.com" <m...(a)sushi.com> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 6:00 am, "markp" <map.nos...(a)f2s.com> wrote:
>

> > "jch4416" <otter30(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > > Hello,
>
> > > Is anyone familiar with any techniques for reducing overshoot in the pulse
> > > response of a unity gain op amp follower configuration?
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jim
>
> > Here's some useful info. You might get away with just a snubber network on
> > the output:http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/38-06/capacitiv...
>
> > Mark.
>
> Good article. I'd use figure 3. I think snubbing is trickier than the
> paper indicates. GBW has a tempco. Output stage "native" impedance is
> a function of load current. I just don't see snubbing being very
> reliable, though I have no first hand experience at this. Figure 3 is
> used in lots of DUT boards.

That is nice. I've used the figure 3. circuit, but always found
'usable' values by mucking about. (While looking at the step
response.) Do you know of a better reference for the derivation
following figure 3? I don't quite get why I should equate the pole's
and opposite zero's of the two circuit cases. C-f shorted and C-load
open.

Oh for any reading along at home, I found it easier to rewrite the
equation for Cf in terms of two 'times'. The output time Cl*Ro = To
and the feedback time Cf*Rf = Tf. The remaining two terms are then
the one with the loop gain. (something near one for gains above 5 or
so) and (1+Rin/Rf) a bit more than one for reasonable gains. So
except for a factor near unity, Tf = To. (And I'm still going to pick
the cap and muck about... I just have a better starting value.
Thanks)

George H.