From: Fan.Zhang on
>OK, I am confused even more. The OP said
>(without defining what is meant by pulsewidth
>or bandwidth)
>
>OP> bandwidth = 1/pulsewidth. Why?
>
>to which several people replied, and Robert
>Bristow-Johnson said (I think) that the
>relationship stated by the OP is true for
>Gaussian pulses if pulsewidth and
>bandwidth are defined in terms of 92.4%
>energy containment. Jitendra Rayala said
>in his second post that the OP's relationship
>holds for some pulses (but did not specify
>which ones he had in mind). He also
>said that when bandwidth and pulsewidth
>are taken to mean rms bandwidth df and
>rms pulsewidth dt, then the inequality
>
>JR1> dt*df >= 1/2
>
>or perhaps
>
>JR2> dt*df >= 1/(4 pi)
>
>is applicable to *all* pulses (neither of
>which contradict the assertion that the
>product equals 1 for some pulses).
>For *most* pulses, the inequality would
>be strict: dt*df is *larger* than 1/2 or
>1/(4 pi). But for a few select pulses
>(Gaussians?), it might be that dt*df
>*equals* 1/2 or 1/(4 pi). Does it? and
>which is the minimum value that is
>achieved: 1/2 or 1/(4 pi)?
>
> --Dilip Sarwate

Thanks for all your comments on this thread.As the OP owner, I would like
to say something about '1/2' and '1'.

If we define the bandwidth of a system as the interval of POSITIVE
frequencies over which the magnitude |H(f)| remains within a specified
value.

We may get 2 values for baseband and passband.

bandwidth of baseband is (from 0 to Fm).
bandwidth of passband is (from Fc-Fm to Fc+Fm).

where Fc is the carrier, Fm is the highest frequency of signal.

"We need twice as much transmission bandwith to transmit a DSB version of
the signal than we do to transmit its baseband counterpart"

----'Digital communications fundamentals and applications 2nd Ed--Bernard
Sklar' Section1.7.1

So I personal think it depends on baseband or passband, when we talk about
the bandwidth. it may lead to different relation to the pulsewidth.

Thanks you all!

Fan

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Fan.Zhang <zf624(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.sina.com> wrote:
(snip)

> Thanks for all your comments on this thread.As the OP owner, I would like
> to say something about '1/2' and '1'.

> If we define the bandwidth of a system as the interval of POSITIVE
> frequencies over which the magnitude |H(f)| remains within a specified
> value.

> We may get 2 values for baseband and passband.

> bandwidth of baseband is (from 0 to Fm).
> bandwidth of passband is (from Fc-Fm to Fc+Fm).

It is convenient to say that the lower sideband of an AM-DSB
signal comes from the negative frequencies of the source.
All the fun places you can move the factor of two around to.

> where Fc is the carrier, Fm is the highest frequency of signal.

> "We need twice as much transmission bandwith to transmit a DSB version of
> the signal than we do to transmit its baseband counterpart"

Except that you can't transmit, in the usual sense, a baseband signal.

> ----'Digital communications fundamentals and applications 2nd Ed--Bernard
> Sklar' Section1.7.1

> So I personal think it depends on baseband or passband,
> when we talk about the bandwidth. it may lead to different
> relation to the pulsewidth.

Well, it could also be FM or AM-SSB. But those are modulation
choices for the baseband signal, and shouldn't really count.
(Unless you actually want to sample them, or use them to
modulate another carrier.)

-- glen
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6